More 7 inch Battle Tiles

I've made 150+ of my 7 inch hexagon battle tiles in CC3 and CC3+. Originally inspired from the square battle tiles in The Cartographer’s Annual Vol 3. However I play GURPS and that requires hexes and having hexes on a square tile adds problems of its own so it eventually evolved into the hexagon tiles with some lovely suggestions from members of these forums. I'm planning to get a bunch more done, I just wish I could find a good place to get them professionally printed

Find pictures and links HERE

Contact Sheet 1

Contact Sheet 2

Contact Sheet 3

Contact Sheet 4

Contact Sheet 5

Contact Sheet 6

Comments

• Interesting. These could work with Tunnels and Trolls as well.
  • Very nice. Thanks for sharing these.
  • 1 month later
  • What is the easiest way of me taking the fcw files for each tile and turning them into a symbol that I can use for larger scale maps? Like my own Dungeon Geomorph that comes with DD3
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Well, to make a symbol, all you have to do is to open the drawing, do a symbol -> Define symbol, select the entities, and you are done. You'll want to copy all the symbol to a single symbol catalog of course, but that is just basic management.

However, there are a couple of caveats:
    - Entities in symbols do not retain their sheets (Symbols are only single-sheet entities). However, there is an option for symbols called 'Convert Line Style Names To Sheets'. To use this, simply define new line styles, and name them the same as your sheets, then assign the appropriate line style to each entity in the symbol (do this in the drawing before defining the symbol) based on what sheet it is on, and after defining the symbol, turn on this option. This means that the symbol will be exploded upon placement, and each entity in the symbol will end up on the sheet corresponding to its line style name. Obviously, this is quite some work to do, and it only works properly as long as the destination sheet in the drawing you use the symbols in are in the proper order. If the sheets are not in the drawing at all, they will be added to the bottom of the list, and need to be reassigned manually, or the symbols will probably look very odd.
    - You cannot build effects into symbols. This means that you are defendant on the map you are using the symbols in already have the appropriate effects defined (You can save an effect setting so it is easy to just apply however). With wrong effects, the tiles will probably look weird.

Of course, the above is assuming you want to make symbols with the appropriate CC3+ entities from your drawing, as this makes for easier editing and tweaking of the resulting map, but you could also render all your tiles out to .png files, put them in a folder, and simply run Symbols -> Import pngs. This is a far easier process, the work lies instead in rendering each drawing to an image file, and then editing it in an image editor to add transparency around the outside of the actual tile. Of course, since these then end up being image files, it is much more difficult to manipulate a single wall, or add symbols that attaches to walls (like torches) and suche.