May I borrow a scroll?

For the quest map that I'm currently making, I need a scroll, for an idea that I have. I've seen quite a few people use them, so by any chance, does anyone have an open parchment scroll that they wouldn't mind letting me add to my symbol sets? It would need to be big enough for me to enlarge way out of preportion, so that I can write on it for this map.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited October 2017
    I don't have anything I can legally share, but you could consider making your own using Sue's page curl tutorial.
  • edited October 2017
    Ninja'd by Remy.....was going to say the same - i have no idea what within my symbols I can legally share, but Sue's tut. is great - i've used it, myself!
  • Woah... using Shessar's tutorials for rivers and cliffs is one thing... using a tutorial to create a symbol of my own? totally something else! Can it be done in cc3+? because if not, there is no way I can do it. CC3+ is the only thing I know how to use.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Yes, that's a pure CC3+ tutorial.
  • I looked at it, and tried it, but I had a hard time making it work. it's hard for me to be that precise. I may try again tomorrow.
  • edited October 2017
    I did a quick search on google.....here's a bunch of scrolls you can use for your own map - as long as you don't sell the images - i'm pretty sure you can use these but you'd have to adjust to make the background transparent - i'd suggest downloading the free version of GIMP - i use PS to make my own symbols within my own maps, but unfortunately cannot share them legally after altering them. It's worth getting to know a program like PS or GIMP for a free version so you can create your own symbols - it's not nearly as difficult as you think :)
  • I made symbols in CC2, on my Crestar site, so symbols making can be done in CC3 and CC3Plus.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited October 2017
    Would you like me to make you one to the right size and shape - a png file (a very large symbol)?

What dimensions are you thinking of - for the map title perhaps?

EDIT: Also, do you mean one with wooden handles, or just a piece of paper that rolls up at the ends? I can do either, but only if I know what you mean. Maybe give me the proportions (4 times longer than tall, or whatever), and link me to an example of the kind of style you would like?
    edited October 2017
    Here are a few I did earlier.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?albumid=5000

These are all 2600 px wide, so depending on whether you want to use them as labels, or as the base for an entire map, they are either super-huge or really a bit small.

The originals are 7000 px wide and more than big enough for an entire map, but I'm not sure how to make them available to people.

EDIT:

Storm - if you want the full size of any of these I will email it to you - if this is what you were asking for but bigger. I have to say, though, that because they are png files to allow the transparency they are all about 60MB, so it would arrive as a download link to the Google drop box thing that springs into action when you try to attach anything bigger than 25MB to an email ;)
  • lol... What I am actually planning to do, is have a bit of parchment sitting on top of part of the map, and kind of to the side of it, like maybe the framed map and the parchment sitting on top of a table? And the parchment will be possibly a journal entry? Or a log, or maybe just a brief description, in the Seeker's words, about an ancient treasure he learned about, and his journey to retrieve it.

That's one of the reasons why my ocean is so blank. I was originally thinking of having the parchment overlap the map at that point. As for the dimensions.... My original thought is that it needs to be about 1/4 the size of the actual map, but I'm wondering if that's too big. It needs to be big enough for me to 'write' on. And all I really need is the parchment, I don't need the wooden spools, or anything. I do think it needs to be at least 2x longer than it is wide.

But Sue, you are in this challenge also... I don't want you to have to take time away from your map to help me with mine! Besides, I still have to find a suitable wood grain for the table, and figure out how to do that....I think I have an idea, but we shall see :)
    Ok, well, the scrolls I made earlier are there if you want them, and if it troubles you look at it this way - they are now open access to the entire world, so you could just as easily find them by Google search and use them just like any other scroll on there, except that if you get them directly from my album you will know that there are no problems associated with using them.

And they only really took me about an hour to make ;)

Unfortunately I don't think I have time to also do a table top, so I will have to leave you to sort that one out for yourself.

If you just wanted a plain piece of parchment there are others in that same album, but you will have to import them as files, since I suspect they are mostly jpg files.
  • I think I have a parchment fill somewhere, I used it once before. I think I'm just going to do a torn out journal page or two.... that might be easier.
    Storm - ok - no problem.

Good luck :)
  • I can host them if you want me to. i have gigabytes of space left on my Crestar site where i already host files for others.

I can give you my email address in a whisper.
    Thanks for the very kind offer, Jim :)

You really are a very kind person, but I think the 2600 px ones should be ok for most purposes, and those are already available in my Guild album, linked above.
  • Well, this is a bit of a disappointment. I could have sworn I had a parchment fill, but apparently I don't. So now I'm scrambling to figure out how I'm going to finish this map. I'm at a loss....
    edited October 2017
    Ok, lets see if we can solve this.

If you have a nice large piece of parchment as a png file you can use that as a fill, even though its not seamless.

How you do this is put the parchment in a folder called something like "NonSeamlessFills" which you need to create inside the User folder where you put all your user fills, and import the png file as a bitmap fill and fill the polygon with it, then adjust the scale of the fill until the whole polygon is smaller than the fill. That way it doesn't matter that the fill isn't seamless, because the polygon fits inside one patch of fill and none of the seams are visible.

To make it really work you need a decent high resolution piece of parchment. I'm talking at least 3-4000 px wide.

The parchments in my parchment album are that big, and bigger (one is 7000 x 3500 px and has already been used by some of the pro artists over there), but because they are so huge my parchments are mostly jpg files, which won't work as CC3+ fills. Most other parchments available online are smaller than that, because people are trying to sell the hi res version, rather than giving it away.

How to use them?

Its literally a 5 second job (and I am not pulling your leg it really is a 5 second job) to open a jpg fill in GIMP and export it as a png file.

This is the way to do it:

Open GIMP
    Click: "File/Open" from the menu
    pick the file you want to convert and open it. You should see something like this:

[Image_9540]

Click: "File/Export as"

[Image_9541]

In the export dialogue that opens make sure the filename has a '.png' extension and change it if it doesn't. Ignore the rest of the clutter in that box. Just make sure you have the right file extension.

[Image_9542]

Click export. A new pop-up will appear at that point. Again - for the purposes of the exercise ignore the clutter and leave everything at default values. All you have to do is just click 'Export' again and the new png file will appear in the same folder as the original jpg file - two separate files. Its the png file you need to copy to your new "NonSeamlessTextures" folder to use as the new fill.

[Image_9543]

Close GIMP

NB - GIMP will warn you that you have unsaved work when you try to close it. Ignore that and just close it anyway. That's just the file that GIMP created when you first opened the jpg file and it doesn't matter - a temporary file.
    01.jpg 308.2K
    02.jpg 312.9K
    03.jpg 180.6K
    04.jpg 195.9K
    Another tip...

If you do it the way I described above, and you use a non-square piece of parchment (lets take that 7000x3500 px piece I mentioned earlier as an example), when you import it to use it in CC3 you will need to set the scale of the fill proportional to the actual size of the parchment so that it doesn't get squished upwards or sideways.

The proportion for the example piece is 7000 to 3500, which is 2 to 1, so if you decided to set the x scale to 500 map units, for example, you would need to set the y scale to 250 map units. In practical application I usually start by setting the scale to the parchment size - x = 7000, and y = 3500. Then I adjust downwards by factors, meaning that I might half both those figures if the texture is just too massive for the map, or I might go straight down by a factor of 10, to 700 x 350.

Scale the texture up and down by multiplying or dividing both the scales by the same number each time - to keep those vital proportions. I mean, you can divide by 2, then multiply by 3, or whatever, as long as each time you multiply or divide x by a number, you do exactly the same thing to the y scale.

Getting the scale right and adjusting the scale in the right way is actually more tricky than converting the file in the first place ;)
  • Storm, if you don't have any of the annuals or any other parchment fill, i think you can use the Desert fill from the basic CC3+ overland set - it looks parchmenty enough
  • I pulled some parchment from Sue's album at the guild, then converted them to png's so I could use them. So I'm good
    Great stuff :)

They're free to everyone by the way. This isn't just for Storm ;)