Dawn City map (inspired by Tonnichiwa's city style)

A long while back after seeing Tony's city done with the Schley overland settlement symbols, i was inspired to try one of my own. This is the City of Dawn - and if my PCs make it out from the underdark alive, i expect they'll make their way here eventually to seek out the priests of Eldath (Goddess of Singing Waters) to the Still Waters Sanctuary - as the water in her ponds can provide part of the remedy to the Blight ravaging the lands.

Anyway, hope you like it. And thanks Tony, for the inspiration!!

Comments

• Love this, as I did Tony’s city. Think I might try one myself one day.
  • Thanks! Considering i suck at and dislike mapping out cities like i do (i can't wait for Hadrian to finish Vyrn City so i can snatch that one up for my campaign, lol) it was really fun putting this one together
  • This is wonderful Lorelei! Love the fountain in the lake.

I too dislike doing cities and am waiting for Vyrn City as well. LOL
  • Where do those walls come from? They are lovely.
  • edited October 2017
    Hey Lorelei, great job on this map! I love how you put a light at the top of the bell tower on the Temple of the Sun! You've just given me an idea! The water fall and the castle with the moat are a great touch too!

A few of the problems I had when making my City of Mok Torkan map was getting all of the flags to face the same direction. I never did solve that one. And I also had a bit of trouble making the towers for each city wall fit properly over the others. I mostly solved that one except for where in one spot you can see two roofs that are obviously so close together that they look like one was placed over the other. Sadly, there is also a flag that is placed on each of those roofs so you can see two flags there as well. It is an issue I am still trying to figure out how to solve.

I think the way you scaled the buildings so that the further back you go, the smaller they become is also a nice touch. ! The nomad tents you used to represent the marketplace near the entrance to the city is also a great idea. Well done!
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    How fun! Don't know as I could add anything the others haven't already said! I really like it.
  • Thanks guys :)
    Posted By: daplunkWhere do those walls come from? They are lovely.
    The walls are part of the Schley Overland Map Settlements symbols - these are all symbols (hamlet, town, city, etc) strategically placed to look like a city - some of which i altered on PS to rid myself of the walls, etc. I'm pretty sure Tony may have made a video? Here
  • This looks great. Very nice work, Lorelei.

I've never found these MS Overland walls. What am I missing?

Also, I noticed seen your remark about Vyrn and decided to work a bit more on it.

Cheers:)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited October 2017
    Posted By: HadrianVII've never found these MS Overland walls. What am I missing?
    You're not missing anything. The walls are part of various settlement symbols, such as "Walled City," "Walled Town," and so on.
  • Posted By: HadrianVIThis looks great. Very nice work, Lorelei.

I've never found these MS Overland walls. What am I missing?

Also, I noticed seen your remark about Vyrn and decided to work a bit more on it.

Cheers:)
    Thank you! And yes, as Dogtag said, the symbols I used for this map are the Medieval City, Town, Hamlet and some individual bldgs from the Mike Schley set.

And.....yay!! I've been chomping at the bit waiting on that illustrious city (As is Shessar, i believe) - I've already used Dunor (made some minor changes to suit my own needs, of course, lol)
  • Very clever use of those symbols. I looked at this 10 times and never noticed that the wall symbols are indeed not wall symbols but walled cities symbols.
  • Lorelei, this is fantastic!!! I loved the way Tony did his, and I love the way you did this one! I'm going to HAVE to try this myself, and in some ways I have... it's just I never used the walled stuff, I keep mine open.