Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2017 edited

Working on trimming it down to just the penninsula.

Here is what I have so far after exploding it. Getting it to break, so I can cut large chunks out the continent, is not working. Forum software wont let me upload the fcw.
      doriant01_0022b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2017 edited

If you have problem trimming the entity, I recommend going for the trace approach instead, using the trace option of the landmass drawing tool.

You can also try one of the various cropping options from the Cut Menu (issue the CUTMENUON command if you currently don't have the Cut menu)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2017

Ah, forgot about that menu.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2017

Its working, so I am making progress.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2017

Okay, I got it down to the smaller area, but I need to make the area a solid again, instead of a line. Here is the png.

Combine says it isn't a polyline so I can't use that.
      doriant01_0033b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Have you tried just using Path to Poly on it?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

That was the command I had forgotten. Not yet, but I will.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2017

Path to poly, then change line width to zero. I'm getting there.

But I did make the mistake of showing all sheets. Forgetting I had only fixed two sheets of the large scale map to the smaller area. Still making progress.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2017

Well, explode, cutmenu trimming, closepath, LTP2 for line to poly, then change line width to zero, then delete things outside the current mapping area. Three sheets done. Vegetation, Land, and another one whose name escapes me.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2017

Its not showing due to me limiting it to map border, but the green and dark red-brown areas are still huge. Slowly getting there.
      doriant01_0067b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2017

Posted By: JimPWell, explode, cutmenu trimming, closepath, LTP2 for line to poly, then change line width to zero, then delete things outside the current mapping area. Three sheets done. Vegetation, Land, and another one whose name escapes me.

Okay, thats the wrong sequence.

explode, cutment trim, ltp2, line width, then closepath.

Anyway, I got all sheets done, effects should be showing, and here is where I am. Deciding on what to name things, like the forest and the cities.
      doriant01_0083b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2017 edited

Here are some names. Any suggestions on changes to make ? I'll add a map scale and a compass.
      doriant01b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2017 edited

My thoughts on the names.

Night: a city brightly lit in the night, but is very evil. Lots of smiles.

Day: a poor city down the coast. A few lgihts at night, they prefer it that way.

Moon: no lights, they depend on the phases of the moon to light their city.

The Gray Forest: Beings of gray clothes, or gray fur, wander this forest. Some nice and some not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I would change the very large city symbols to something smaller, perhaps from Mike Schley?
    Also use some effects on the coast?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I used the original symbols and effects. I have considered putting new symbols in and add I got some ruins on the edge of the woods/jungle. Adjusting the effects is a good idea to.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2017 edited

First one is without effects, second one is with.
      doriant01_0087b.png
      doriant01_0088b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2017

Yes. I changed the subject line. I should have spotted the usage earlier. My sp9logies
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2017

Doriant Penninsula

Symbols are from Mike Schley

Fill under the forest is: Scrubland_MS from Mike Schley

Land is Land_MS.

Ocean is: Sea_MS.

The unnamed henge is there for current religious practices by Night.

Isle of Ghosts: an abandoned village falling to ruin. Pale lights are seen there at night by passing ships.

Night: a city of evil. Hang on to your life !

Day: a mostly nice city, but there is evil afoot !

Moon: a most peculiar city. The street lights only work when the moon is above the horizon.

The Gray Forest: a place of monsters and villages. Instead of attacking, sometimes the monsters will sneak up on a group and should 'Booo!' very loudly and then run away.

City of Death: a necropolis. Adventuerers and thieves that go there to rob the tombs, never come back.

Trade: Night and Day have seaports and trade with other cities. Moon tried to set up a seaport, but merchant ships refused to stop. 'Too spooky' they said.
      doriant01_0089b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Red glow on the symbols looks kind of strong. Have you considered reducing that a bit?
    May I also suggest adding some additional details to the coastline, perhaps a few small islands too small to show up on the continent map.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I checked via my cell phone. How is this ? And besides the islands, I was thinking of adding a few more symbols as well.
      doriant01_0090b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2017 edited

A bit of this, a bit of that, boil boil and trouble.

The two islands near Day, are Dream and Dark.

The three islands near Moon are Quarter, Half, and Gibbous. New, dark of the moon, vanished millenia ago.

There are those who claim The Ghost Reef isn't real, fog hides it.
      doriant01_0091b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I would reduce the size of both the fonts and city symbols - they overwhelm the map at present (IMO). Also, what about a different resolution/fill/symbols for the forest.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

The forest is a fill with effects. I'll look at the rest.

What do you think of the names ?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2017 edited

In this png, at 81% of the 1200 pixels I typically output.

cities Night and island names near Moon are at height 10. scale for symbols at Nigt and Day are 0.7

The rest of the text is at height 15 and scale of 1.0

I think the island and reef text should be smaller than the main city and forest names.
      doriant01_0093b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2017

I would reduce the size of the City of Death name (which I like); and the forest needs to look more like a forest (?coniferous)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2017

I'll have to add tree symbols as there aren't any there now. I'll see what I can find in the way of tropical trees as this is apparently on the equator.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2017

I think making the smaller areas a height of 10 and the large ones like cities a height of 15. Any other suggestions ?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2017 edited

I made all 15 height text 12s. And changed some of the 15 heights to 10. Added some trees. This one is at 86% of the original at 1200.

And I corrected the subject line, its southwest not southeast.
      doriant01_0095b.png
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2017

Looks good, Jim.....but i'm not sold on the glow around your symbols - it's a bit distracting - i would use a black glow, but VERY minimal just so as to make the symbols "pop"
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2017

Great progress, Jim, but I'm with Lorelei on the symbol glow :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2017

Except maybe the Ghost Reef, depending on why it's called that.  :D
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2017

Okay, I think a white glow around The Ghost Reef would work and a black glow around the symbols. I may tray, and post, a medium gray and see how they compare.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2017

Reduced the size of the glow around the symbols and made it color zero. Color around the text is white. 86% of 1200 pixels.
      doriant01_0097b.png
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2017

Looking good. The trees seem sort of static. Maybe add some smaller clumps randomly to make them look less identical? The glow seems a little harsh, as well.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Well, my install problems converting a Vista computer to Win 7 are hopefully completed.

I wanted to make a medium gray under the symbols, but I had a hard time seeing that.

So, the desire is I put a black glow, a lighter glow, but not a white glow under the symbols.

While I install just Cc3Plus on my Win 7 Professional computer, along with a video card driver and a wireless driver, I would appreciate it if there was a consensus on what type of glow to put under the symbols, its strength, and its distance. I'm just too new to efects to make it work correctly.

Thank you !
    • CommentAuthorScottA

I think black is the way to go for glow on your symbols, but much less "glowy" -- more to make them pop than to actually glow. So try maybe a strength of 10 and radius of 1 and see how that looks, and adjust it as needed.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2017

Here is 10 and 10... 10 and 1 didn't show to my eyes. And I added a smaller jungle tree symbol.
      doriant01_0098b.png
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2017

Getting the glow to look right on lettering and/or symbols does need a fair bit of playing around with, I find. Sometimes it's amazing what even a really small change can make to the look - and that's not always easy to judge/guess-at in advance. High strength but small radius should work like a simple coloured outline, but that isn't always how it pans out, I know. Worth persevering with the experiments though, I'd say, Jim!
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2017

A bit tired from working on this, and installing CC3Plus onto my Win 7 computer. Faster than my Win 10 computer and it has an actual power supply, not an adapter.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime3 days ago

I made the glow area for symbols slightly larger, to 20, with no other changes. I'm going to submit on Monday.

81% of 1200 pixels.
      doriant_penninsula01b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime2 days ago edited

Here we go. Here is the blurb and the final map. Submitted to Monsen for inclusion.

Doriant Penninsula

Name: JimP

Contact details: Profantasy forums http://crestofastar.drivein-jim.net/

Map Description: A peninsula, jungle, and sand.

The two islands near Day, are Dream and Dark.

The three islands near Moon are Quarter, Half, and Gibbous. New, dark of the moon, vanished millenia ago.

There are those who claim The Ghost Reef isn't real, as fog hides it.

Fill under the forest is: Scrubland_MS from Mike Schley

Land is Land_MS.

Ocean is: Sea_MS.

The unnamed henge is there for current religious practices by Night.

Isle of Ghosts: an abandoned village falling to ruin. Pale lights are seen there at night by passing ships.

Night: a city of evil. Hang on to your life !

Day: a mostly nice city, but there is evil afoot !

Moon: a most peculiar city. The street lights only work when the moon is above the horizon.

The Gray Forest: a place of monsters and villages. Instead of attacking, sometimes the monsters will sneak up on a group and shout 'Booo!' very loudly and then run away. The demon heads mark areas of known evil.

City of Death: a necropolis. Adventuerers and thieves that go there to rob the tombs, never come back.

Trade: Night and Day have seaports and trade with other cities. Moon tried to set up a seaport, but merchant ships refused to stop. 'Too spooky' they said.

Night and Day have two lighthouses each. Moon has none.

Crops near Night seem to have a life of their own. Go not in there if you are not one of the farmers.

Crops near Day and Moon are not as frightening.

Symbols:

Profantasy\CC3Plus\Symbols\Maps\Mike Schley\Vegetation.fsc, Cartouches.fsc, and Structures.fsc
      doriant_penninsula01b2.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTime1 day ago edited

Thanks Jim. Doriant Peninsula is now in the atlas.