Quick Question using the Tome and The Big Edit

Okay, I'm at the point in this commission map, where I need to pull out the tiny peninsula at the bottom of that landmass, enlarge it, and place it in the bottom left corner so it is easier to see. I have created a window of what I want in this enlargement. I actually have two quick questions.

First - I notice that there is a hill symbol that is getting selected because it's partially inside my target window. And because of what I need to be inside this window, I can't make the target window any smaller, or it will cut off some of my text labels, which I need to keep. When I go to paste this section, is it going to paste the whole symbol? Or just the part of the symbol that is inside my window? I ask, because when I do the copy, rightclick- window option, it's selecting the hill symbol which is mostly outside my target window.

Second - once I have selected the Paste option, and am ready to select the area I want to paste, the Tome tells me to use the default landmass, then hit trace. But because I want everything inside my target window INCLUDING the bit of sea and ocean around the peninsula... would I just trace the entire window? And would my start and end point be the same point?

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited October 2017
    Copy what you want. It'll be saved to the clipboard. If a symbol is selected when you copy then the entire symbol is copied and will paste.

After you paste, you only need to use the TRACE option to trace the parts that are only partially in your target area. The entities that are completely in the target area should be good to go. And, naturally, delete any symbols, like that hill, that you don't need.

Does that help, I hope?

~Dogtag
  • okay, uh... now you just confused me. I noticed when I started to paste, that I was getting not only what was inside my window, but everything that was outside of it too. And the Tome mentions that, so I was expecting it. But the Tome is describing how to make local map from a regional... the idea being that this portion is going to be placed in a whole new map. And therefore things like ocean and sea varients would need to be changed. So I can see why you would ONLY want to trace the landmass, and everything that's on the land mass. So you are cutting out part of the window too.

But I need the full window, and I'm not putting it in a separate map. I've left the bottom left corner of this map empty, because I've been planning on enlarging this peninsula since the beginning. It's really too small in regards to the rest of the map to leave it as it is. So I'm not sure what you mean by needing to use the trace to trace what's only partially in my target area. Everything inside my window is my target area.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: LadieStormI noticed when I started to paste, that I was getting not only what was inside my window, but everything that was outside of it too.
    Remember that the window defines your selection. And a selection window will select any entity that is wholly or in part inside the selection window. Also remember, this selects entire entities, not just parts of them (Which is why, as you point out, you need to do the trace step, OR, as an alternative, use tools like break and split to remove offending parts, and reassemble the rest.

Posted By: LadieStormBut I need the full window, and I'm not putting it in a separate map.
    Not really a difference, just treat that corner as a seperate map for this purpose. The idea ans steps are still the same.

Posted By: LadieStormSo I'm not sure what you mean by needing to use the trace to trace what's only partially in my target area. Everything inside my window is my target area.
    What Dogtag is talking about here are the entities that extend part your target area. As I explained above, the copy procedure will copy the entities in their entirety, not just the parts inside the selection window. So what he refers to here is the parts that came along that were outside your selection window, but were brought along because parts of them was inside your selection.
  • Okay, that makes sense. Now that last question. Because I want the full window, when I do the trace, I would pick my trace point, which is actually going to be one of the lines of the rectangle window. Then I give my starting point, which will be one of the corners of the window. Once I get the three corners of the window, do I end on that fourth corner - The corner I started with? In other words, in my trace, do I need to close the rectangle?
    edited October 2017
    My guess is that you'll want to trace the part of the landmass that juts out into the window. When picking the start and ending points for that trace, you should be able to use the Intersection [CC3 Button Image] modifier to pick exactly where the landmass crosses the window.
  • 15 days later
  • You just confused me again. Do you mean that I should click on the intersection modifier to catch the corner I'm starting my trace in? Does that mean I have to click on the intersection modier and then click on each corner? And I'm still trying to determine whether or not to come back to the first corner to 'close' the rectangle window of what I want to copy.

To clarify my question: I have the rectangular window, and I'm trying to confine my copy to only what is inside that window. So do I click on the intersection modifier, then click on a corner, then click on intersection modifier again to click on the second corner, then inmod again to the third corner, then inmod again to the 4th corner, then inmod again and back to the first corner where I started? That's what I'm trying to determine.
    You would use the intersection modifier each time you need to click the exact point where two lines cross each other. For example, to start tracing at the exact place your landmass enters the "box", you can use the intersecion modifer on the cross between the landmass line and the box line, and this will help you select the exact point of intersection.
  • is there a video tutorial on this somewhere? Because I've attempted this 6 times now, It's not working right, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    May I suggest that you actually copy it to a new map instead (sized the same size as your inset), and when that s done, copy it back to your original map. It is an extra copy operation, but it is slightly less complicated overall.
  • Monsen, it looks like you ninja'd me here while I was posting my issue on a new thread. I might can do that, but that poses new questions. Such as: how do I determine what size to make the new map? Does that mean I just don't use the instructions after creating the new map (the trace portion of the instructions that is causing me all of the problems)? Will it include the new map border?
    To find the size, just measure the size of the area you wish to enlarge on your main map, and make the new map that size. You would still have to go through tracing and such, but it is a tad bit easier when you have proper map border at the edges, since drawing tools can automatically stop at the map border. Then, when you are done, just copy the relevant pieces of the map back to your original one, skipping the map border from the selection (unless you really want it though).

If you struggle with the tracing, I do recommend to run through the Tome tutorial a couple of times, using the actual example map from the tome so you can follow everything exactly. Tracing is one of these features that need a little bit of training to get the proper hang of it.
  • I've done the tracing part enough to be comfortable with... as long as I'm tracing a continent, or a coastline or something like that. You may not believe how many times I had to trace part of a coastline just in this Alenhold map alone. I think my issue with the Tome Tutorial is a new map vs. the extension of an existing map.

When you are making a local map from a portion of an existing regional map, you aren't only enlarging the new map... you're also becoming more detailed in the new map you are creating. It's like zooming in on an address in Google Earth. You start with the whole Earth, that gives you the general shape of the landmasses, the major mountain ranges, and the major rivers. Then you zoom in to a specific area, and each time you zoom in, you are picking up more details of said area.

What I'm trying to do is more like an enlargement in a road atlas. It's like looking at a road atlas of the North Eastern section of the US, with the major highways and interstates. And in the bottom corner of the map, is an enlargment of Rhode Island, or Connecticut, showing the highways and interstates that run through them. They do that because those two states are so small that the only way you can tell what's there, is to enlarge them. That's what I'm trying to do.

And as I can see, when it comes to tracing that section, I'm going to run into the exact same problem whether I'm copying to a new map, or extending the existing one. When I go to set up my trace, I'm going to end up using a fractal generator to trace straight lines. And even if I do make that work, and I manage to be able to make the new map... how do make it work back in the original? I have separate sheets for my desert, with different edge fades on each sheet. Now I'm assuming that all of my sheets for that particular section is going to carry over to the new map. But what happens when I go to copy that new map back into the existing one? All the different sheets, with the different effects already exist in the original map. And there are different effects set just within that small map area...how am i going to recreate that with that new section in my original map? I have no problem trying your suggestion, I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to make it work BEFORE I totally screw up this map. And I need to know how it's going to work BEFORE I do it.
    edited November 2017
    Dogtag mentioned:When picking the start and ending points for that trace, you should be able to use the Intersection [CC3 Button Image] modifier to pick exactly where the landmass crosses the window.

Then, Monsen added:You would use the intersection modifier each time you need to click the exact point where two lines cross each other. For example, to start tracing at the exact place your landmass enters the "box", you can use the intersecion modifer on the cross between the landmass line and the box line, and this will help you select the exact point of intersection.

And then, LadieStorm asked:is there a video tutorial on this somewhere? Because I've attempted this 6 times now, It's not working right, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    Good idea. I think I'm going to try and tackle a video on regional maps (or local maps, or insets) from larger maps, and I think this would make a good companion piece. Prolly won't be for a few days though, so it may not help you with this map (sorry :() but it sounds like you've figured something else out for now.
  • I'm actually not sure whether I have or not. I'm going to give Remy's idea a try, and see what happens. I at least have a save point I can go back to if this doesn't work.