Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLadieStorm
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2017

I'm creating a regional map for another monthly challenge at the CG, where I'm mapping a quest. I have to depict a quest in my map. My quest is for the Zjed'Un Diamond. Only problem I have so far... no diamond, or gem symbol. Any ideas on where to look?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Would this help at all?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

There are lots like that to choose from here (the unofficial Map Forge forum, which consists almost entirely of the old Dundjinni artwork collection)

These are the gems

And these are the terms and conditions of use (just so you know)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

I notice most of the overland styles have gem hoards, and not an individual gem, but if you can use a vector symbol (apply some effects, and they can be quite nice), you have one in the CC2 Pro Filled Borders catalog.

Dogtab and Sue, those are some really nice crystals, but they aren't quite what I'm looking for, although they will work if I can't find anything else.

Remy, I will look at what cc2 pro has, and see if there is something there I can work with.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2017 edited

Would one of these work?
      Diamond_1.png
      Diamond2.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I'm just working on a 3D rendering of a diamond from Blender. Not sure how useful it will be to you or anyone else, but it will be partially transparent - more an ethereal description of the gem by its refractions and reflections. That means the colour will be more in the background you put it on than anything else, but it would help if I knew roughly what colour background you were going to put it on.

For example, diamonds look white on a white background, red on a red background, and black on a black background. Blue diamonds have colour of their own (we call them sapphires), and there are other colours of diamond as well.

So - name your colour (since rendering them out takes hours! LOL!)

lol... I'm looking for a black diamond actually, and if you look at my quest map, in the hidden valley with the golden forest, you will see a temple up in the mountains north of the city. That is where the diamond will be found. Or actually a cave that's behind the temple :)

And Shessar, those might could work, although I was more looking for a side view. Thanks for the help though!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

This is kind of side view, and though its transparent it looks ok on a black background.

I was trying to get a realistic one, so I went for transparent/white.

Diamond 500.png

This (above) is the transparent image suitable as a symbol in CC3. It will let the background show through its transparent parts.

The one below is just an example of what it looks like on a black background

Diamond 500 on black.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

If that's the right sort of shape I can make it less 'glowy' for you?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I got a black one here, but still don't know if its the right angle or shape

As with above - the first image is the symbol, the second image is the symbol shown on a solid background (and no use in CC3). So if you want them its the first image you want in each case.

Diamond black 500.png

Image to use - above. Demonstration of black diamond on white background below.

Diamond black 500 on white.png

those are perfect!!! Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much!!!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

My pleasure :)

I like having a good problem to solve. It keeps the brain alive ;)

I might see if I can do a symbol set with varicolour gems at some point, but perhaps not right at the moment...

The diamonds I've made are Royalty free. I made them from scratch in Blender, so no worries about copyright or anything.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2017

How odd! I just tried them for myself, and I can't make any of the sheet effects work on them - glow, shadow.

I made a proper symbol catalogue out of them as well.

Can anyone explain that?
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2017 edited

hmmm....i just plopped one down on a random map to test.....glow and shadow work fine for me. Lovely diamonds, btw Sue. Thanks for sharing :)
      Capture2.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

And its working for me now, but I had to delete them from the Symbol Manager and the map, and then save and close CC3, then reopen it and reopen the new symbol catalogue I made for myself.

Now that is just SO weird!

I must have been doing something wrong.

Thanks for doing that Lorelei, and you're welcome :)

I hope to make a more variable set of them sometime.

okay, wait... so how do I fix it so that the effects will work on them. Can you break it down for me?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

When I first pasted one of them in it just didn't work.

So I deleted it from the map, then opened the Symbol Manager and selected the diamond from the list of symbols, then clicked the delete button.

I saved the map, closed CC3, reopened CC3 and tried again.

That time it worked.

I don't understand why - it just did.

Maybe Lorelei did it a different way to both of us?

Lorelei?
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

hey, sorry, had an appointment at unemployment (i was recently laid off from my job)..... I saved the symbol in my "my symbols" folder that i have in CC3+'s Symbols folder itself, opened up an existing map, and dropped it on a symbols sheet. Nothing special.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

What method did you use, Storm?

Maybe we can work out what went wrong if we know exactly how you did it, as well as what we both did.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Just had a thought....

If you aren't making a symbol catalogue it won't be set up to appear automatically on a particular sheet or layer. Is it possible, by some remote chance that you are plopping it down on a sheet and/or layer other than the one you intend it to be on?

EDIT: Sorry to hear about your job, Lorelei. I just lost mine as well, but it was only ever a temporary position - not something I'd been doing for years.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2017

Good luck Lorelei. !