Looking for a texture or fill.

My husband is currently running myself and our sons through a 2nd Ed D&D campaign. He's done a lot of research to make this an epic campaign for all of us, and along the way he's had to borrow, or adapt maps he's found for dungeons he's running us through. He isn't interested in learning to use cc3+ (he says that's my thing), but he doesn't want me to have advanced knowledge of the dungeons, because that isn't fair, and I do agree.

But right now he's running us through a 'dungeon' that I want to map after the fact, I want to bring his idea to life, so to speak. We are currently clearing out a corrupted temple that resides inside a Great Tree, as a matter of fact, this particular great tree is the Goddess of the Forest, the Life Tree for the forest we are in. The corruption is causing this great tree to die, and the forest along with it.

Anyway, I want to map this dungeon, and it's going to be massive. It starts underground with the root system, and goes up into the hollowed out tree.
So I'm looking for a texture or a bitmap fill that would be the inside wood, and the outer bark for the walls. Does anyone have anything like that by any chance? Or know where I could get a texture like that?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited October 2017
    Hey Storm. I uploaded a whole lot of textures on the Guild equivalent of this thread. There are 12 of them, so I won't go and do it all over again right here.

If anyone else wants a look they are (or at least they will be in the next 30 minutes) in my Guild "Room 1024 - png Textures for CC3" album here:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?albumid=5130

All the textures in that album are 1024 pixels square, and png files.

Other free textures in my Guild albums:

Most of my other freebie albums over at the Guild contain textures that are jpg files, because jpg files are smaller than png, and I can upload higher resolutions as jpg. You can use them as well, but remember that you would need to convert any jpg files to png files before you could use them in CC3.
  • Thanks, that will help me a lot. Now I just have to figure out how to make the hollowed out center that I can use to create this dungeon. I have a couple of ideas in the works, though.
    Well, if you are open to suggestions I would follow the advice that Mark Oliva gave you, and draw the bark and wood parts of the walls as two separate lines.

Whatever texture you use in the hollowed out part you can raise the walls above it by using a dark outer glow on the inner wooden bit of the wall, and a directional shadow on the floor itself to cast the correct shadow on the outside part of the map.

Inner floor texture - try the plank view wood in roots and branches, but orientate it using the shaded polygon tool to make the grain go in the direction of the root or branch. In the trunk you might have to use the end grain texture again, but I would suggest using a couple of layers in that case and making hollow polygons of a certain line width of ever decreasing size on the upper one of the two with a very very narrow but quite intense dark glow - to simulate the tree rings.

I've also just uploaded a collection of forest floor type seamless tiles to the same Room 1024 album, so that you can get the base of the map sorted out with pine needles, dry grass, flowers - that sort of thing - if you are looking for something photorealistic to go with the bark and the wood textures.

They are all made in Genetica by me, and royalty free :)
  • Yes, I am looking to expand on Mark's technique suggestion... it's just that he made his in FM8, and I have to do it in dd3, so how he detailed it to me won't quite work. In fact, he suggested I ask Remy how he thinks I could pull it off.

As for the floor... it's dirt. There are no grasses, flowers or anything of that nature, because the corruption is leeching the life out of the great tree, and the forest for that matter. In fact, I already know what floor fill I will be using... the evil lands from cc3+ will work best for that... or the mountain background fill with a little hue desaturation to make it a little more gray, as if the life had been sucked out of the soil.
    edited October 2017
    Ok

I did an experiment to see if what I described over at the Guild and above would work.

I didn't use any textures, so you wouldn't get any red crosses.

Also attached the FCW so you can see exactly what I've done.
  • for what I'm doing, I would only need the outer two layers, because the inside is where the dungeon is... but yes, that' is what I'm looking to do.
    The outside and inside wall layers?

Set the line width, pick the right bark fill, make sure you are on the bark wall sheet, then using the freehand drawing tool draw the shape of the outside wall. Right click the fractalize tool and pick 'path to poly', then do it to the line you have just drawn.

This should give you an unbroken line, of the set width, with the set fill.

Then copy the polygon to the inner wall sheet, and hide the bark wall sheet.

Change the properties of the new wall to the wood end fill, and then scale it approximately around the centre of the poly, reducing it to about .9 of the original size - smaller at any rate.

Make the hidden sheet visible, set up the effects as shown, and you should have yourself a wall like the one above - only better, because you will have used appropriate fills.