Caves, Fractal walls, and Sheets....Oh my!!

I find myself having to post on the forums a few times this year and I hope i'm doing it in the right place but here we go again.

I am attempting to draw a custom map for a random encounter in my Out of the Abyss campaign, it is intended to be a series of caves with spider webs and so forth choking the passages. I'm pretty sure I have mastered the standard dungeon mapping through reading the manual, video tutorials, and the help of you kind folks but these cave maps are messing me up.

If i use the cave feature and draw a cave and then attempt to play a web symbol it goes on the symbol sheet and it is on top of the wall.....i attempted to move it to a lower and lower sheet (higher towards the top of the list on the sheets window) and even at the very very lowest one, "Common Sheet" it is still on top of the wall so i tried to go the other way and put it on the every single sheet (redrawing after each) and it is stubbornly on top of the wall. I concluded that this was a idiosyncrasy of the cave feature so I decided to just draw my caverns using the "wall" tool but i still wanted it to look....ya know....cave-y. I tried to use the fractal path and other such options but I was unable to find one that would draw a cave like wall in the same manner as if i were using the "cave" drawing tool so now i'm at a loss. I have to either figure out to get symbols below the wall of the cave using the cave feature to draw it or figure out a way to draw a cave looking wall with the wall feature so the symbols will go below the wall by default the way they do when i do a standard dungeon. I really hope that made sense and i really appreciate all the help i've gotten from people on the forums here.

Perhaps in the near future i'll be able to learn enough to help other people who later post their question. Thanks again all.

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited October 2017
    First of all, DmD, we've pretty much all been there, so no worries. Reading and doing tutorials is a good way to get a lot of information but the best way to learn is still by doing — and especially by hitting a problem and working through it. That includes asking for advice. So, really, keep plugging along and you'll get there.

Second, bear in mind that drawing tools are really just convenient collections of CC3 commands that you could also do separately, if you wanted to. The tools just make things a LOT easier by combining a lot of commands and settings at once, like setting the layers, sheets, fills, colors and so on and then drawing floors and walls at the same time and stuff. That said, there are several different ways to draw caves and different map styles might use different drawing tools.

Can you post a copy of the map that's giving you trouble? It might be easier to help you figure this out if we could see exactly what's happening in the map (though it's also possible someone besides you and me might just know the issue off the top of their head).

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • I appreciate that. The issue is any symbol i place....no matter what sheet it is on is always ON TOP of the walls of the cave i drew. Here is a picture with a set of mushrooms from the cave symbols.
  • Snap is on, see the button on the lower right labeled snap ? Just unclick it. Then you can place symbols any where.
  • Is there a major difference between using the "cave" tool to draw walls and using the "wall" feature? When I use the wall feature it seems to automatically adjust symbols into the shadows of the walls. I assumed it had something to do with sheets so I attempted to place my symbols on a lower sheet but even then it still showed on top of the brown section that is the wall of the '"cave" tool. Perhaps i'm not understanding the difference between drawing a cave and drawing a wall.
    edited October 2017
    I'm guessing you drew the gray cave with the drawing tool and the brown "walls" are the background? If so, the cave is essentially just a floor and the symbols sit on top of the cave floor, which sits on top off the brown background. It looks like the illusion of the cave is from an inner glow on the cave sheet that resembles a wall shadow.

If I'm guessing right, you can add a wall mask after you finish laying out the cave floor. It's wise to add the mask last. I did a video tutorial on wall masks, if it'll help. Sorry for the brevity. I'm using my phone, which is no way to post on a forum.
  • This might help:

In some cases you will always have shadows over the walls. In those cases you can create a floor mask.
    Yep, daplunk's video tutorial, above, might be even more relevant to your map, since it looks like it uses the same general style or template.
    edited October 2017
    DmDomination asked: Is there a major difference between using the "cave" tool to draw walls and using the "wall" feature? When I use the wall feature it seems to automatically adjust symbols into the shadows of the walls. I assumed it had something to do with sheets so I attempted to place my symbols on a lower sheet but even then it still showed on top of the brown section that is the wall of the '"cave" tool. Perhaps i'm not understanding the difference between drawing a cave and drawing a wall.
    The cave drawing tool, in this template, essentially just draws the cave floor and then uses sheet effects (a black inner glow) to simulate walls. There are no actual walls. Some other styles do actually include, both, floors and walls in their cave drawing tools, but this appears to be just a floor.

You can easily see what the drawing tool is drawing, and which sheets and layers it's using, to get a better idea of what you're putting on your map. See the "Drawing Tools" section of the CC3+ User's Manual, starting on p. 86. You can open it from within CC3+ by selecting Help>User Manual from the menu bar.
  • Thank you very much for the video and all the help. One last question.....most of these maps i'm making for a one time use for an encounter. Is there a place where people share maps, i don't really need them after I use them for the encounter so I would be happy to share them if there are people who would want that type of thing.
  • Cartographer's Guild is one of the first places that comes to mind. A lot of us are members of both forums. For the most part the people over there are very friendly, and even the ones that aren't so much, are still polite and civil.

It's also a great place to get general map making advice, not about the cc3+ program (there aren't that many of us over there), but just general knowledge that always proves usefull. Plus there are discussions and challenges that anyone can join in on, and you can create an album gallery of your maps, which you could then make available to the public if you wished.
    edited October 2017
    DmDomination asked:most of these maps i'm making for a one time use for an encounter. Is there a place where people share maps, i don't really need them after I use them for the encounter so I would be happy to share them if there are people who would want that type of thing.
    You might want to consider reaching out to Ralf. ProFantasy has a large library of downloadable stuff (nearly 900 entries!), most of it, I believe, is user-contributed. I don't know how to submit something, or if there are any criteria for submissions, but Ralf could tell you one way or the other.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Posted By: DmDominationOne last question.....most of these maps i'm making for a one time use for an encounter. Is there a place where people share maps, i don't really need them after I use them for the encounter so I would be happy to share them if there are people who would want that type of thing.
    Have you looked at the Community Atlas project? To me, one of the best ways to share maps with the entire PF community is by finding a place in the atlas to add the maps. :D
  • Totally endorse Shessar’s comment about sharing on the community atlas.
  • edited October 2017
    Ditto ^^ I'd like to see some new faces (well of course, not literally) on the Atlas - It seems like the majority of contributors are Charles, Quenten, Shessar, Hadrian, Jim and me - let's get some new blood in there!