World map Feedback Needed

Hi all, spent the entire day glued to the computer working on this world map. So far I'm satisfied with the current look (sort of). Still not sure about the light land texture I used. To make things stand out a bit more, I used bevel on it, had no difficulties there. What I need to know is should I use any special sheet effects for the vegetation, hill and mountain contours?

Also, should I use symbols to show where all the communities are located, or just the major cities?

BTW, this is my first major map using CC3. Next version of map will be posted through my site, since it will be much larger with text and other such added.

Thanks!

Anna M Dobritt
Cartography Unlimited for RPGs

Comments

• I like to edge fade between regions of disparate terrain (as well as between ocean levels, etc.)

I like the shapes you have going. The terrain, however, is way too uniform for my tastes -- the tiny bit of sand up north just makes the rest look more monochromatic.

As far as communities go, start with the big ones. Then add the next tier. When it starts looking crowded, stop. I prefer only major cities personally.

It's a good start to a world!

loyd
  • This looks like a great start, Anna. I really like the texture of the green landmass bitmap. I think you could break up the regularity of the color a bit when you add the mountain and hill symbols by placing grey (or brown) smooth polys under the symbols, and then adding blur and a slight transparency (so the texture of the landmass bitmap shows through the color) sheet effects. I recommend using a blur effect on the ocean/water as well to blend the different blue contours together a bit.

I really like the polar ice cap as well.
  • Thanks jaerdaph and loyd. Next version will be ready for viewing sometime tomorrow. :)
  • How was this map created exactly?
  • edited February 2009
    Posted By: jasalesHow was this map created exactly?
    There is a map available from Empty Room Studios at RPGNow that says you can make whatever changes you want to it. I imported it as a bitmap into CC3, then traced over it, making changes that I wanted. I could never get a good world map using FT (FT is a nice program, but the world maps it creates just never makes sense to me) and my hand drawn world maps made my cats laugh hysterically. *hears them tittering in the background*

Now if anyone can recommend a good world map making program, one that's easy to learn to use, then I'll go about making a new world map. :)
  • It just looks like there is topographic shading going on there. Is that just my imagination?
  • Posted By: jasalesIt just looks like there is topographic shading going on there. Is that just my imagination?
    I used bevel on the landmasses, I'm currently added the contours for the hills, mountains and forests. Also adding the appropriate symbols.
  • edited February 2009
    All righty, here's the latest work in progress of Tarumar. Since the image is kind of large, I've included this LINK.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Looks very impressive! As others have suggested, I'd use an "Edge Fade, Inner" effect on the hill and mountain areas to blend them more into the background. Does the map show a whole globe? The equator seems to imply that, but then the south edge doesn't look like it's an ice cap.
  • Sigh...*considers returning to hibernation*

I've been working on this map and never realized I didn't finish it off to make it a true world map. Back to the drawing board! So to speak.

Thanks for pointing that out, Ralf. Much appreciated. :)
  • what is the possibility of seeing the FCW file? I would love to zoom in close and look at you fjords and island chains
  • edited February 2009
    Here's the latest version. Still need to fix the southern half of the world. :)

As for the fcw file, I need to think about that, since this is for an rpg product that I'm working on.
  • Looking good, Anna. :) I can't wait to see the final product with all the effects turned on!
  • Posted By: jaerdaphLooking good, Anna. :) I can't wait to see the final product with all the effects turned on!
    Thank you, jaerdaph. :) Now to take a well earned break and play Runes of Magic for a while. :D
  • Niiice map you are making.

Looks like you're fleshing out Tarumar, as concerning your own vision.

Keep up the good work and I hope you enjoy Runes of Magic.
  • edited February 2009
    Thank you, Huscurius. :) After a nice break playing RoM, I'm back working on the map. Hopefully it will be finished sometime later this evening my time. (EST).

Heh, was wondering how I was going to name the various oceans, mountains, forests, rivers and lakes in this map, then I realized I still have the hand drawn maps I did of the partial world of tarumar. Lots of names to use from those. :) (It pays to be a pack rat at times.) Even have a partial list of various community names too.