bitmap fills with vari-color symbols ?

Has anyone tried to use bitmap fills with vari-color symbols. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this.

Why ? Hidden cities near downports in CA99. Or camoflauge of a Traveller world as they are near a war zone.

Also applicable for Elves to hide from Orcs. Or an evil wizard flying over on a magic carpet.

Thanks !

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Fills don't support varicolor, if I understand correctly. Only picture entities (as might be used in a symbol, for instance) support varicolor.
  • Jim, if you want to change the color of fills, use the adjust hue/saturation effect.
    This allows you for example to turn the standard 'mountain brown' texture into a green mountain (background) fill.
  • What I want to do is add bitmap fills to vari-color symbols. As an example. Make a castle symbol look moss incrusted. Or underwater.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    I understand exactly what you are trying to accomplish, JimP. I needed to do something similar. I wanted to color the vari-color HW hill symbols with the HW badlands fill. I did accomplish it, but it was a lot of work and the results were not perfect. I started by putting the symbols I wanted on a solid color background. I saved it as a JPG and then imported it into GIMP. I used GIMP to turn the color of the symbols into a clear alpha layer but kept the solid background. I exported that as a PNG and then took it back into CC3+ where I put the HW fill I wanted beneath it so that the clear hills were now that fill pattern. Then I saved that as a JPG and imported it back into GIMP again and took out the background. It looks good except that the bottom where the symbols fade into the map is now solid and not faded, so they look like they are sitting on the surface and not blending into it like symbols are supposed to do. I haven't figured out the solution to that problem yet so, so unless I can hide the bases on the symbol behind others I don't use them yet! I ended up making a badlands fill with them, which is working pretty well, but I'm not happy enough with the individual symbols to use them. However, if you want to do a castle or something with a solid base that doesn't need to fade into the map, then this method should work for you.
  • Wow. I understand what you posted, but thats just too much extra work for me.
  • 14 days later
  • I have been thinking about this. What if you faded the edge of the jpg before adding it to the symbol ?