problem exporting in good quality

Hey guys,

I read the .pdfs on how to export the map when I'm finally done with it, but I can't seem to get it sent anywhere in any detail. I've tried both PNG bitmap files and PNG bitmap files. I'm pretty sure it's because the map is so big (3k by 2k), but I need a way to export it even so. Thoughts?

Comments

• What kind of detail ? Are you putting city symbols, or house symbols on the map ?

Region and continent maps should have few symbols. Bitmap fills that look like forests or plains or mountains, would be better at large scales. Large rivers and large bays would work to.

But small inlets or villages would shrink down too small to be noticed.

Please post a png or fcw of your map so we can get a look and make more accurate suggestions.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    What resolution are you exporting your map in? And how do you plan to use it? Good quality for an overland map isn't necessarily good quality for a floorplan map.

CC3+ should be able to handle rather large exports, so generally, unless you are already above about 10K by 10K, crank up that resolution a bit
  • The map I'm using is for reference material for a fantasy series of novels I'm starting on. I want to make sure I can keep all the names in order of all the geographical features and cities. I know about the text overlay feature in CC3 but since there doesn't seem to be any "opaque background" feature to put behind the text to make it uniformly legible I don't want to put the names of things in CC3. I'm trying to transfer it to MS paint because I like the way you can add in text with the back of the text box colored in lol.
    Posted By: Molinari117I know about the text overlay feature in CC3 but since there doesn't seem to be any "opaque background" feature to put behind the text to make it uniformly legible
    Normally, you will handle that with effects. If you use dark text, a light glow around it will make sure it is legible in all situations (and will have a much less impact on the map visuals than putting an opaque rectangle.
    I would strongly recommend that you do your labeling in CC3+, because that makes it so much easier if you later make changes to your map. Also, the text is editable after making it, something you won't get from an image editor.

As for the image itself, you appear to have exported it at only 800 by 600. Hit the options button after selecting the image file type in the save as box, and increase those values a lot. At least 5 times the current value, but perhaps also 10.
  • @monsen Thank you!

I was able to export it in much better quality after hitting that option button, but I'm open to the other solution you had as well. Especially since the colors were affected by the export.

I know how to put text on the map, and I even like the suggested color and font, but I don't know how to apply this light glow you're talking about.

I appreciate the help, this community has been great to me from the very start
    Your map is in the Mike Schley style, so it should have text glow by default when you turn on sheet effects.

If you put text on multiple sheets, use the Outer Glow effect to add glows to your text.

You'll find more about effects in the manual.