New to CC3+ Wondering about resources

I just bought CC3+ and have already made my first map. First let me say that I am loving the program and it is serving my needs very well.

My question is about the initial purchase. I bought the basic program. In the 'Land' symbol options it includes various options including a swamp tree. I was wondering is there a symbol for actual swamp? Is there more symbols that I can download to add to my resources?

Thanks!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited October 2017
    Symbols available depends on the map style used, but generally, terrain, such as swamp, is usually represented as a fill style, and not a symbol.

There are multiple ways to get additional symbols
    - Official ProFantasy Symbol Sets. These contains a lot of symbols, but note that they introduce new styles, not more symbols for the existing styles. Many styles mix well though
    - The Cartographer's Annual. Also an official resource, the annual provides all kind of neat things, also additional mapping styles, complete with symbols.
    - Community Resources: Free symbol sets. Lots of great stuff there.
    - Do an internet search. CC3+ uses .png files for it's symbols, most png images from the net can be turned into a symbol (Note useage restrictions/copyrights though)
  • For anyone with Dungeons of Schley this pack works as an upgrade for that. Just wish Pro fantasy and Mike would work together to make these into formal installers.

http://prints.mikeschley.com/p153402849
  • new to fora. Lot of interesting things. I am interested in the main product as well. a bit on the pricing side considering its only for recreational purposes (family DMing).

on another note, I cant seem to be able to post anything.
    Wanted to ask about any chance that software appears on Steam?
    Lately more and more devs came with map making software and none are as professional as CC3+ looks, but they are selling a lot.
    Is it possible ProFantasy arrives there too?
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited October 2017
    I have all of Profantasy's software. I have made over 3,000 d&d type maps, and 1,200 Traveller maps. Its a nice hobby.

Some of the folks in here make maps profesionally using CC3+.

edit: There is a learning curve. But we are here to help. I don't work for Profantasy.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited October 2017
    Athelas Loraiel wrote:new to fora. Lot of interesting things. I am interested in the main product as well. a bit on the pricing side considering its only for recreational purposes (family DMing).
    Welcome to the forum Athelas. ProFantasy products are not restricted to personal, recreational purposes. As JimP mentioned above, the software license permits you to sell your work or use it commercial products. In fact, many users create maps for sale, for inclusion in commercial gaming products, and for novels and such. Generally, the only real restriction is that you can't use the software to sell products that are essentially just repackaging the art. For more information, take a look at their licensing information page, which also includes a link to the actual license. If you have any questions about the software license, you can send email to Licensing Support.
    and then added:on another note, I cant seem to be able to post anything.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. Do you mean you can't post an image or a file? What are you trying to post that isn't working?
    and then:Wanted to ask about any chance that software appears on Steam?
    Lately more and more devs came with map making software and none are as professional as CC3+ looks, but they are selling a lot.
    Is it possible ProFantasy arrives there too?
    I'm unaware of any plans to sell CC3+ on Steam, but I'm not a ProFantasy employee so I can't answer authoritatively. Ralf, the ProFantasy General Manager, often reads the forum but this isn't an official company support forum. If you want a sure answer, send email to General (not Technical) Support.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • thnx.

Posting new thread is a bit tough to find first time. Upp on the left red letters...
  • Posted By: Athelas Loraielthnx.

Posting new thread is a bit tough to find first time. Upp on the left red letters...
    Yeah, the forum software here does a number of things differently than most fora packages do. It works, at least as well as most, but nothing is intuitive.

Think of it as a metaphor for the software itself.