Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    So I've joined another challenge at the guild, and this time we are doing a community challenge. We each have a section of the Caverns of Chaos, and we are remapping it. Because I've been on a 5 month forced vacation from mapping, I decided to enter the challenge, with one of the easier sections... section 1

Section 1 has two relatively small caverns that are not connected with each other. The first part is not connected with anything, and the second part connects to another section that someone else is mapping. This is the map that led to my trouble shooting thread about the program crashing when I minimalize the map window.

I'm basically using this challenge to refresh my memory of some of the more advanced uses for cc3+... I didn't realize how much I had forgotten how to do!

Anyway, this map is of a set of caverns that start in a valley, and go up a hillside (mountain side?) which means, once I remembered it, I get to use Shessar's cliff tutorial! I've used and tweaked her river tutorials so much I can almost do them in my sleep... but the cliffs, not so much :).

as always, questions, comments, suggestions are always welcome as I go through this process!
      Chaos Caverns.01.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2017

I like the mountainside/cliff adaptation of Shessar's rivers.
    So I have added a little more to this map, I'm starting to add the needed elements to the first floor of this dungeon. I will add my personal embellishments after.
      Chaos Caverns.02.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2017 edited

The pit trap at the entrance is interesting. Did you use a trapdoor symbol with transparency on top of a pit symbol? Regardless, it really caught my eye.

You might want to double-check the effects on the cave sheets. It looks like the caves are floating over the stone.
    Yes, Dogtag, that's exactly what it is... a trap door with transparency to hide the pit trap :)

And about the effects, I know... I haven't found that happy medium yet, I'm still working on it.
    I got to work on this a little more... here is what I've done so far:
      Chaos Caverns.03.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLadieStorm
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2017

okay, this is the point where I need some help, please. I'm trying to break up the grass bitmap fill, so it's not so redundant. Mouse gave me an excellent idea of taking one of the other grass fills I had, one with longer grass, and creating grass patches, which I would then blend in with an edge fade, inner.

The issue is the grass fill I chose to make the patches. It's darker, and a different shade of green than the original grass I used. I know I can use the hue/saturation to change the color so that it matches... but I have NO CLUE what I'm doing here. I've been trying to make the two grass shades match for the past two hours, and I can't seem to get it right. Here is the image with the two grasses, each with their original color. Once I can get the two to match, I think it will look great. The problem is getting there!
      Chaos Caverns.06.JPG
    • CommentAuthorrobotrock
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2017 edited

Maybe you could also try playing around with the transparency, either as a separate effect or the inner opacity of the edge fade
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2017

You can also increase the size of the fade. And, I don't know how much the grass needs to match colors, really. When I look at the field outside my house, there are varying shades and tints of green (and yellow *sigh*).
    • CommentAuthorScottA

I agree with Dogtag. Grass, unless it's meticulously treated and tended, is never solid green. There are patches of varying shades from different thicknesses and types of grass. I think you'd be just fine with some transparency effects, as Robotrock suggests. What I've done is to lay over those splotchy grass and dirt fills from DD3 Color and then reduce the inner opacity to like 20%. Just enough to give some subtle color variation and break up a solid or repetitive grass fill.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Same color lawns and woodlands greenery are done with magic. No need for them to be attended. :-)
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2017

lol... actually, what I did was to remove those little bits and added a grass transparency that was close to the grass color, but didn't completely match. I've actually 'completed' this map. I may continue to tinker on it until the deadline, but I consider it done.
      Chaos Caverns.09.JPG
    • CommentAuthorrobotrock

It turned out great!
    The only thing I might suggest is to put a trail leading to the entrance.

lol... actually I thought about that, but then what would be the point of me 'hiding' the entrances? There are actually 2. And I wanted them to look like they were a bit over grown, so it was hard to find them.