Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLadieStorm
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2017

I'm still working on the Alenhold map for my client, and right now I'm working on all of the text labels. It was going along just fine, until a moment ago when I tried to add a new label, and nothing happened. What I mean specifically: I clicked on the text button on the right, which of course, opened the text window. I typed out the text label I needed to add, then clicked okay. That should have given me the floating label that I could then move, enlarge, rotate, or place.

Instead, I got the 'cross hairs' to place the text label, but no text label. At first I thought maybe the size had changed and become microscopic, so I tried to enlarge the text, but there was no text. I even saved, closed down and re-opened cc3+, then tried to created the text label again... I get the cross hairs, but no text. What the heck did I do, and more importantly, how do I fix it? I'm enclosing the fcw, so someone can hopefully figure it out...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

hmm.. This is a new one for me, and I am unable to reproduce it, I don't see that problem with your drawing here.
    Does this problem persist for you if you open other drawings too, or just in that one? Does switching to a different font help?

What is the text size set to in your text properties dialog? It is possible to make the text too big as well, not just too small.

Well, I tested it on my DunnHaven map, and the text worked fine. I have the height set at 20 for the Alenhold map. I went back in and typed up a text label called 'Test' and it worked fine. Question... can you put symbols in the text labels? Specifically, the label I was trying to make was for a place called Fomatr's Garden (or something like that). The label has an apostrephe in it. Could that have caused the problem?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2017 edited

I don't know that an apostrophe counts as a "symbol" (I guess so?) but labels should be able to diaplay any character in an installed font.

Remy, can you reopen my fcw, and try to create a text label titled Folmatr's Garden? That's the label I'm trying to create, and I just tried it again, and again I got nothing but crosshairs. I think the problem is trying to use the apostrophe.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

From my phone. Nope and apostrophe wouldn't make a difference.

But my computer stops responding after a few hours of having anything graphical open. Sometimes closing the program fixes it and sometimes I have to reboot.

That's the issue. Once I removed the apostrophe from the label, it showed up just like it should.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Not a problem. I don't have the font you use though, can you try to see if the problem persists with a different font?

I also see two "Folmatr's Garden" labels in your map already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Same here.

Alenhold.12.ladiestorm-text.placement01.png  Alenhold.12.ladiestorm-text.placement02.png

It must be the font I'm using. I wish I could send it to you, to test my theory, but it's not allowed. It's a free font, but it comes with a no redistribution clause.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Do you have an URL for it where I can get it? I assume you got it from somewhere?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Whoa. I installed the font from https://www.ffonts.net/QuillOblique.font.download and the existing text labels (of that name) vanished from my open map!

But only visibly. I tried placing the same text again and this time I did not see the text attached to the crosshairs. However, after placing it, I did an Info>List and selected the area where I placed the font. The command bar showed two entities selected, one was the small patch of terrain and the other the label. Viewing the List confirmed it. It showed info on the poly and on the text. It's there (as evidenced when Monsen and I saw it without the font installed), but it isn't showing up for some reason.

I can also confirm that, using this font, placing the text without the apostrophe functioned normally.

So. Weird.

Yup, that's the font I'm using :)
    • CommentAuthorjslayton

The apostrophe in that font is badly broken. Word 2010 visibly blinks when I try to type an apostrophe in that font and Photoshop simply refuses to render anything for it. All I can really recommend is to try to find a different font.

There at so many things that can go wrong in those little bits of data and code that we call code that it's hard to say what is wrong. If you have a friend with tools for making fonts, then they might be able to fix the apostrophe or make you a new one. I don't have any such font tools, unfortunately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Doing some further test myself in several other programs, and that font causes a bunch of issues, and it crashes the rendering in a bunch of programs when including an apostrophe, not just CC3+. I am going to completely erase it from my system, and my recommendation, unless you have tools to fix it, is to do the same. That font is definitely corrupted.
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2017

Then after I finish this map, I will erase it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2017 edited

In that case, once your map is finished, and you know you're not going to edit any text, you might want to consider exploding all the text before you erase the font. Exploding the text turns it into multiple CC3 entities, and "disconnects" it from the font (you can test to make sure it works by trying to edit the text after you explode it — you should be unable to edit the text). That way, you can open the FCW in the future and preserve the look of the labels, and you can export it — or parts of it — again later, with the proper appearance.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    I may do that, although, once I hand it over to the client, I'm done. There shouldn't be any more need for me to fiddle with it :)