New to CC3+ and am finding it very unwelcoming...

So I decided to take a delve into this as I keep hearing how it's one of the best software tools to create maps and layouts and everything related to a campaign with more ease of functionality. I watched some videos, took some notes, and went with it. But now actually trying to use it? This honestly to me feels like the most counter intuitive user interface I've ever dealt with. I do understand that this isn't image editing software, I keep seeing that said here in the forums, and I didn't expect it to be with everything I saw about it. But I've used CAD programs in the past before, I use telemetry programs fairly consistently, and have a large amount of experience with software that people take one look at and wonder how someone can even use it. I keep going over and over and over the manuals, I keep trying to watch and watch and watch video after video after video. And no matter what, I can't even get what would seem to be the absolute simplest tasks to even come close to working properly. I can't do any kind of resizing that requires precision, I can't do any kind of scaling that requires precision, trying to line things up is absolutely impossible because even with quick move it just has no actual line up and just makes it look absolutely horrible. And then trying to work the sheets? That's entirely something else.

I've seen the work that this program can produce, and I want to be able to get to a level even considered close to be close to that. I don't want to just straight give up and say this is the worst program out there. But I shouldn't have to feel like I need to spend weeks just trying to figure out how to do something simple with $45 software that it takes 30 seconds to figure out in $700 software. And that's how this software is making me feel. Is there anything out there that I can read or look at that can actually help make sense of things that isn't going to use up every single bit of free time that I get (which isn't much)?

Comments

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited September 2017
    Its based on a CAD engine. It has a steep learning curve. I dealt with the learning curve and turned out over 3,000 average maps. Some folks in here are graphic artists and turn out superb maps. I helped out in the computer lab for AutoCAD in university. This software isn't exactly the same, but its not a paint program for certain.

Going through the tutorials and the CC3+ manual is a very good idea. Even if they don't directly apply to what you want to do, you wil learn more on how to use the software.

Some of us, including me, have some tutorials on our sites. And Joe Sweeny's tutorials on youtube are good to.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2017
    CC3+ is a powerful program, but it does have a learning curve.

As JimP mention, the manual is the place to start, and I recommend working through it, and do all the tutorials in it, and not just read it. CC3 isn't the kind of program where you can start by figuring out what you want, read the appropriate pages in the manual for that task and do it.
    Same with the video tutorials out there, make sure to follow along.

Usually, most of the learning curve hangs on getting a proper understanding of the core concepts, like understanding the basic command workflow, sheets and layers, sheets effect and the use of the drawing tools and symbols. Be sure to understand those concepts before starting on a real map.

As for your precision issue, use snaps, modifiers, or input values on command line. One of the great things about CC3+ is the ease of doing precision work, and there are lots of tools to do so.
  • Once again, I'm looking for something to actually be able to pick this up without have to scour tutorial over tutorial over tutorial looking for one specific thing that I'm having an issue with because the manual doesn't even make mention of it. You brought up the command line for precision. After a quick search on the forums here (because I couldn't find it in the manual), I was able to find out how to manipulate placing symbols. Dug around even more to get more use out of the command line for working with placed symbols. And they either disappeared, didn't have anything done to them, or had the complete opposite effect of what I was trying to do in the first place. I shouldn't have to spend 4 hours trying to figure out how to utilize something that should be the simplest thing to do. I'm not trying to make it so that everything is instantly learn able off the bat. Good lord the amount of time it took me to understand how to correlate steering angles, longitudinal and latitudinal shifts, and tire slip angles in order to figure out what a car was doing was insane lol. But I shouldn't have to spend that amount of time to learn how to move an object in a simple fashion or how to edit that object after it's placed, or how to manipulate the map in what should be a simple fashion. Simple basic things shouldn't make a person wonder how the heck to use them and make them feel like they're going to have to scour the internet just to do so.
  • You said you watched some tutorials, and took some notes. Instead of that, watch and do at the same time. Make the maps with Sweeney.
  • Hi

I do understand you issues with getting into CC3+ because I had the same ones when I bought CC3 and CD3 a few years back.
    However, I have trouble understanding what it is that you are trying to accomplish that causes you issues. Maybe, if you explained what exactly you need help with, we would be able to give more specific advice.

Cheers

Hadrian
  • Simple concepts Hadrian. Like moving a symbol after placing it. I should be able to just select it, and shift it over by the arrow keys. Instead I have absolutely no option but to use the mouse to do so. But I don't have a huge 4k screen to make sure that I don't move it half way across the map. So I attempt the command line to shift it over. It instead shifts it half way across the screen, or doesn't move at all. But there's also the option to adjust how much the cursor moves when using a grid snap. But that's a global setting that I'll have to constantly adjust and readjust every single time that I need to do the exact same thing to something else. So I have to go through all this pain in the rear process to do something that every single other program I've ever encountered does with a single key stroke. And that's all just trying to move it. God forbid I try to re-scale it after I've placed it.
  • Snap is on, look at he lower right of CC3+. If the Snap button is depressed, click it once to remove snap. Now you can place symbols anywhere.

The tutorials cover things like this.

Before placing a symbol, right click the mouse. A popup will give you the scale. Change it to what you want, place the symbol by clicking on the map.

To scale it afrter placement, type scalexy on the command line, select the symbol, right click, select Do It fomr the menu. Look at the command line, you will see a request for a scale number. The default is the number in parenthesis. Type in the scale you want, and press th enter key one time.

I have a 21 inch lcd monitor, nothing powerful at my end. And CC3/CC3+ use only 2 gigs of ram, and not the video card. So more ram and a video card don't matter. I just have a video chip on the motherboard.
  • Commenting just for the shared learning. I've never had to do any of this but I suspect it may be useful in the future.
  • Hi, kstick615 and welcome to the forums. I'm sorry you are at wit's end over CC3+. I'm a relatively new user (well, about 10 months now, I guess), and I understand the frustration of learning the program. I had absolutely no knowledge of or experience with CAD programs and just the tiniest bit with standard art programs. While the learning curve is pretty steep (someone else called it a learning cliff!), it is doable. I also understand the frustration of being unable to find things in the manual, as I have the same problem still today.

In any event, moving a symbol is quite easy. I just use the MOVE button on the left-hand side of the screen. You can also re-scale your object with the same button as you move it. Look up the MOVE button and it should all be explained. CC3+ is a mouse-driven program, however, so using arrow keys to move things is not possible (to my knowledge -- every time I try to give advice I find myself corrected, so I've come to rely on the saying "the more you learn the less you know!"). And it really isn't a one-click and done program -- usually, you select the command, select the item you wish to affect with that command, click on it, and then click the DO IT dialogue that pops up. A little more than a simple click and go, but you get used to it quickly. CC3+ does not function like standard graphics programs so can't be compared to them. With a few exceptions, like symbols, you have to move/delete/edit polygons and not areas. Much of it becomes intuitive, however, the more you use it. It is not an impossible task, just one that requires patience and practice. I hope you can overcome your frustration because CC3+ really is a stupendous program. And visit the forums often. Even if you don't participate in discussions, there are many tips and tricks you can pick up here from other users, plus seeing other mappers' work for inspiration.
  • It's just really frustrating is all. I expect there to be learning curves for everything, but this is just... Everything you listed on how to move symbols seriously took me about half an hour of trying to figure out how it actually worked out. And while I know how to get that started now, I still can't things to move the in the way I need to move them. There is absolutely no way that process should have taken half an hour. It shouldn't have even taken more than 3 minutes. And all for something a straight and simple keystroke can accomplish. I'll spend a few more days trying to see if I can actually accomplish something, but I get the feeling that I won't be keeping this for long if the hassle is this bad just for simple actions. I don't have the time to spend countless hours trying to completely relearn everything that I've picked up over the last decade from every other single program I've used.
  • Greetings kstick :) I'm Storm, and I've been using cc3+ for about a year and a half now.

Every single one of us has had to learn how to use this program, so we all understand the frustrations you're having. :) I saw that you said you have used fast cad before... I had no knowledge of what fast cad was before I purchased this program. I don't know if that is a good thing, or a bad thing;).

CC3+ is just like any other sophisticated computer program on the market, and there is no 'fast track'. You do have to take a little bit of time to figure out how to use it. Would you expect to be able to use Excel, or Power Point with no instruction?

My best advice to you, is what everyone told me in the beginning... forget everything you are used to, and everything you think you know... even your knowledge about the fast cad may be part of the issue. Take a day or two and really go through the tutorials, and I don't mean just read them, or skim through them... actually work through the tutorials... that will give you most of the instructions that you need.

And if there is something you need to know that you can't find in the tutorials, you can always come here to the forums and ask. We have many members at different levels of experience... chances are someone will have the answer to your questions. This is a great group of people, and we are always willing to help!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: kstick0615Like moving a symbol after placing it. I should be able to just select it, and shift it over by the arrow keys.
    I'll recommend putting away all such preconceptions on how things should be done. The workflow in CC3+ is different from most other software, and trying to make it work like other software is just an exercise in frustration.

CC3+ has a somewhat steep learning curve. In the beginning, you'll find that easy operations seems needlessly complicated, but as you learn the system better, and get familiar with things like the powerful selection system, you'll find that you can accomplish a lot of things in CC3+ much easier than in other software.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Consider the English sentence: "Move these apples to the bin". There is a verb ("Move"), an object ("these apples"), and a prepositional phrase that describes where to do the thing. In CC3+, there is an extra step in the specification of "these apples", . The basic activity structure in CC3+ is "action, object, modifier", just like in the sentence. So to move a symbol, you would select the "Move" command, select as many symbols as you need to move, select , then tell the system how far and in what direction to move them.

Most drawing programs that you've used likely used the "object, action, modifier" user interface concept. For those programs, you would select the objects that you wanted to manipulate, then issue a command to manipulate them, then specify the modifier that says how much to manipulate them. It's the same basic steps, but the sentence reads "These apples move to the bin." One major UI distinction between common drawing packages and CC3+ is the presence of onscreen manipulation handles and the implicit commands associated with them. When you select an object in such programs, manipulating the handles typically allows you to move, scale, rotate, or skew the objects in question. CC3+ doesn't have these direct-manipulation handles, meaning that each command must be explicit.

Note that CC3+ does have a "select first" option, but you still have to select at the end of the selection process, and it becomes more difficult (in my opinion) to keep work flowing. With left-button preselection enabled, the sentence read "These apples move to the bin". Explicit specification of commands is till required, and there still aren't direct manipulation handles.
  • TeresaTeresa Newcomer
    edited September 2017
    When I first bought CC3 I also saw and read (and even followed step by step a couple of tutorials) - I had no experience with CAD, but a lot with Photoshop and... pencil and paper. It is still my preferred medium.

I grew so frustrated I had to give up on it (my sister, who can't draw at all, found it much easier than I did). Some years later, I acquired CC3+ with a renewed determination on not letting my money go to waste. Suddenly, it had become much easier (I again went through all the videos, tutorials, etc.). I don't think it was the programme itself that changed... I suppose either:

a) my brain just needed some time to adjust itself, or

b) my previous failure made me approach it the second time without expectations on how it should work.

I still struggle with it, but I really don't have much time to devote to CC3 so I expect my learning curve to spread over time... maybe the steepness will become smaller. :P

Anyway, I follow in the footsteps of great users here in the forums and on youtube - which has also helped me a lot.
  • As someone who also struggled, I have found the tutorials in the basic manual to be wonderful. Just take the time and go through them, like a class. I took a weekend, and had some wonderful maps for my game before the weekend was over! :D

I'm looking forward to hitting up the tutorials in the Ultimate Tomb of Mapping as well.

Of course, the other option is to hit up DriveThru RPG and find some maps you like! If Cartography is not your cup of tea, you have plenty of options buying wonderful maps from people who love this.
  • This program blows all other programs out of the water from what I have seen.
    I have been toying with this program for 15+ years. I still come here and have some of the wonderful members here set me on the right course. From how great the program is, the members are even better. But seriously there is no instant gratification with this program. Otherwise everyone would be making amazing maps, being good takes effort, being amazing takes astronomical effort.

I don't think anyone had reached the full capacity of what this program can do. Everyone keeps one upping the last person.

The vector graphics give you so many options.

Learn what the sheets and layers do.
    Those are the main thing to learn. Then keyboard shortcuts to manipulate symbols, and editing objects. Once you get those you are on your way.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    As with any software, you only get out of it what you are willing to put in.

Patience is required to learn anything well, and don't forget that you have many more years of using PS type software than you think, since you probably used a lot of PS type software at school and home as a kid, whereas CC3 is completely different - not exactly anything that you've ever come across before.

I am unusual in that it really didn't present any problems to me right from the start, but I've never used PS, and had absolutely no preconceived ideas about how things should work.

I found learning how to make GIMP do what I actually wanted it to do, rather than what IT wanted to do, far more difficult than learning CC3/CC3+. CC3 is far more logical than GIMP, and though I am hopeless at maths, I do have a totally logical mind.
  • Many years ago, I had the CC2 software, experimented with it for a little bit and left it with frustration.
    Fewer years ago, I upgraded to CC3 and played around with things for a little and intended to return at some point, but never really did.
    In both of these cases, it was the steep learning curve.

Recently, our D&D group has decided to move to a virtual table top (d20Pro).
    The choice is make my own battle maps, purchase commercially made battle maps, or go with the VTT's map creation.
    Campaign Cartographer makes the best maps available, but there is the learning curve.
    I'd rather have my own maps that depict what I want them to, rather than adapt my story to what someone else's map shows.
    And that means learning to use CC3+.

I understand the basics...
    I'm following numerous videos by watching on one monitor and doing on the other.
    The Tome (separate purchase) is massively useful too... work along with it, and actually do the examples.

At this stage, my maps aren't mediocre, but they're not what I want either.
    I'm improving through doing.

You will too.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Practice and above all *patience*... with oneself, rather than the software... is the secret.

You'll get there, Ualaa :)
  • It takes some time to get used to it. CAD drawing in many ways, compared to other graphics programs, feels very counter-intuitive.
    The tutorial they have up on this site by Mr. Sweeny is good, but I actually learned a good deal more from this guy here: ---->https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF7ObL1N26fPVnW08-aU4AQ

I'd say run through some Sweeney tutes if you have dungeon designer, and then move on to Crawford for more complex and out of the box stuff.
  • Hello all, also new here - first post. Instead of clogging up the board with a similar thread I hope it is all right I'll just put this post here. I am also very frustrated and feel clueless despite having owned and played around with the software for a long time. It must be said I suffer a wee bit from attention deficiency so the blame could partially be put there.

I feel, like the OP, that the documentation in PDFs and tutorials on YouTube don't explain things well enough, or don't focus on things I would need to know, resulting in me never really finishing a map because it never becomes what I had in mind (no wait, yes - I have one 33000x33000 map of the home province of my RP campaign; it's not good but it serves).

I find it very frustrating not to be able to build what I envision, and hence here I am.

Is there any tutorial or possibility to make a map that is not quite overland and not quite city? I want to show a citadel which is featuring in our campaign; its gatehouse, its outer walls, the towers, the fields, the town outside, but I want to be able to shape it to "look like" it does in our game.

I have in addition to CC3/CC3+: Annuals #1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10; City Designer 3; Dungeon Designer 3; Fractal Terrains 3; Perspectives 3; Source Maps: Castles!, Symbol Set 2 v3: Floorplans, and Symbol Set 4: Dungeons of Schley.

I would also like to learn to map a city to make it look like it occupies hills of varying heights.

Can anyone guide me to good sources for me to learn from?

Another question to anyone who owns Annual #2, regarding the heraldry - is it easy to use and can I create any kind of device I want or am I limited by designs supplied?

Finally a tip (!) because I saw people asking about Source Maps! Castles. I can confirm that I can use symbols from CC3/Source Maps: Castles! in CC3+, I added the castle walls from the source maps to a city map I was working on in CC3+.
  • edited September 2017
    Wolf - The guy i've linked uses the overland tools to make a villiage in two tutorials. Granted, this isn't exactly what you're saying, but you could just scale it out some and add more natural terrain and follow the same basic idea.

lemme find the tutorial in question....

its a three parter, but worth following. it shows you how to use mike scheley's stuff, which imo is the nicest looking base template.

He also makes a map roughly around the dimensions you're talking (like campaign-level, but for a region rather than a continent or country) here:

sadly he kinda speeds through it, but its the same general principles he does in he earlier one, just without the resizing.
  • edited September 2017
    Thank you Nelson, I will check it out. I fired up CC3+ now to try my hand at Perspectives, but when I open it the whole canvas is black. I put grass on it and when I refresh it turns back to black :s
    Edit: Nevermind, it was the fill style that was solid black.. how often do I need that ^^
  • Wolfheart. Look for some of the old maps of Waterdeep, Raven's Bluff and Greyhawk (isometric view). I think these are the examples of what you want. I am working on a version for Suzail for the Forgotten realms.

Lots of this is scaling symbols and overlapping. It helps if you know what your layout is, otherwise it may not be realistic and it may turn out a shambles.
  • Perspectives is a pain to manage freehand. I like to use it to mockup interior concepts, but rarely use it for a finished product. Mainly, i use the user-unfriendliness of it to make me research house dimensions, honestly :P

I make extensive use of the command line with it.

Try this:

Make a 100ftx100ft pers map

make su re grid's on, at least as specific as 10ft (right click grid in bottum right, set settings there) and tick snap, ortho

take mouse pointer up to midpoint left to right, about er... 20 feet down from top

click, then, stop clicking.

Itll ask how long this wall is in the command prompt. enter 50

then itll ask for next corner. enter 50 again

then, itll ask for wall height. enter something between 6 and 10

hit enter. now you have a 50x50x10 room, with cutaway to show interior

from here, start making walls, take snap off, but keep ortho on (ortho keeps your walls along a straight plane)

start drawing single walls. click, enter length, right click, enter "1" or "2" for height (so you can see inside)

After you've got a few rooms, (leave empty spaces for doorways), start filling it up with objects. most objects spin 25degrees by hitting the tab key

Pretty soon you'll have something like this:

freehand? forget it. i'd never make it look realistic.

Now, i ended up ditching that for an overhead, since it just looked better overall, but it really got me thinking about the structure before making a dungeon out of it

(overhead version here: )

keep in mind, im by no means "good" at this, im just adequate :P City designer scares the beejesus out of me.

Just play some, and it'll come.
  • Thank you Nelson, I will check it out. I fired up CC3+ now to try my hand at Perspectives, but when I open it the whole canvas is black. I put grass on it and when I refresh it turns back to black :s
    Edit: Nevermind, it was the fill style that was solid black.. how often do I need that ^^
    Edit 2: Mm. I changed the fill but now when I paint terrain and refresh, the fill comes up on top regardless.
  • and thanks again Nelson,I can make a mpa like the two you present (well at least the second one - I've only had Perspectives 3 for a day yet). I'm a little dissapointed that Source Maps! Castles at least didn't give me the tools I need to recreate the most important campaign castles and fortresses.
    I often start out trying my hand again in CC3(+) and then I end up with Photoshop building montages out of googled castle images lol. With a few filters it becomes at least something.
    I expected Castles to have a wide array of options to truly "build" a castle/fortress/donjon/keep/tower/whathaveyou, but maybe I should be working in SketchUp or something instead.

Before I come off as too negative, I enjoy CC3+ a great deal, it's almost therapy (until I get frustrated..lol, then it's not quite therapy.

I am aware that I get back what I put in, but I feel a bit lost regardless :)

BTW, how do you "transpose" an isometric 3D map to flat 2D?

Also, is it possible to load *all* installed symbols, leading to lots of scrolling but still less of a hassle than open that button, navigate windows menus, back and forth ?
  • Oh, i Didn't. I just re-made it using the perspectives as a source. when you get used to using command lines, its pretty easy to make a close to exact copy from one perspective to the other.

Coulden't tell you what's up with Per3 for you man. I'd have to troubleshoot it, and I'd have to see what's happening exactly.

I don't know much about the source map stuff. Those floorplan details are a little beyond me at my skill level. :P
  • There is a feature where you can make entire catalogs of symbols by importing sets or singles. I have done it a few times but I am not very good at it. This could be very time consuming if you have lots of symbol sets. I would suggest just learning all the sets you have first. Using each catalogs and the ALL.FSC Once you know which symbols you love and which you really won't use, that is a good start for making your own catalogs. I think there are probably thousands of symbols.
  • I made a huge Iso/Perspectives dungeon for the Atlas. My progress is in these forums.