Map to Poster

ld like submit my map to one of those online poster printing sites. I need a hi-res copy of my map for the process. Can someone walk me through the steps to convert a CC3 image to an expandable and printable image? When I try it I get an image that cant be enlarged or lose all detail.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2017
    After selecting an image file type (like PNG) in the save as dialog, hit the options button, and set your desired resolution. For a reasonable hi res export, use 10000x10000, and a 10% antialias and enable the crop to aspect ratio and restrict to map border options. The export will take some time, but should be high enough resolution for most uses. You can go beyond 10000 if you really need, the exact maximum is a bit dependent on the map itself, but don't overdo it.
  • 2 months later
  • Ok, that seemed to work fine, right up to the end of the rendering when the icon suddenly disappeared from my desktop where I was saving it to. It did it twice, both times going through the rendering process for about 5 or 6 minutes then leaving no file at the end. ?????
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    hmm. This can happen if the conversion process fails (CC3+ renders the image out as a bitmap first, then handles the anti-aliasing and converts it to the final format before deleting the temporary). It is rare, but I've had a map where that part of the process failed, and then the temporary file gets deleted with no final result being produced.

Can you try exporting it without antialiasing on, that will skip the finalizing step that is most likely to fail.

(The reason for failing is actually memory usage. Sometimes, the output image is so complex that it ends up with a huge file size, which the converter fails to handle).
  • edited November 2017
    Odd, I tried it again with only 8000x8000 resolution and it worked fine. Thanks though, it looks great.