Incise Flow (whatever that is) wipes out my mountains.

First, I want to thank Joe Slayton for his tutorial, and I've read what I can there, and in the Tome of Ultimate Mapping. I have been following Joe's tutorial, but I ran into the Find River problem, which I wrote about in another post. As a result, I found that I had to reduce my memory to "Large" which fixed the river issue. I would have liked to have a finer resolution, but maybe I don't need it for the campaign map I want to create.

I've hit a snag on the Incise Flow step..(the language around these programs is mysterious, I have to confess)...I'd like to make my mountains a bit more jagged on FT3, but instead this step wipes away all my peaks. I'm using the recipe that Joe says, not really knowing what an incise flow is, or what blur, flow exponent, or whatever are. I think my problem is that I'm not using the 4096 editing size that Joe is using, so his numbers don't work.

Anyway, I'm a little frustrated at the mysterious numbers and language of the program, and not finding it user friendly, even though I've invested a sincere effort in trying to learn what I can. This stuff is pretty esoteric, which is why I'm following recipes with words like blur, amount, flow exponent, and effect blend.

How can I use the incise flow more easily, so it doesn't wipe out all my peaks?

Please understand, I don't want to know what blur, flow exponent and effect blend do. All I want is a program that creates an attractive and interesting world I can then turn into a campaign world, simply and clearly.