Some recommendations?

I was going to start on my first map for the book I worked on with my friend. To set the stage a lot of our characters have powers of elements(fire, water, earth, air). Some areas of the map will pertain to that. Pretty sure I should be okay with lush green forests for our earth users (Tramoplese) but what do you suggest about an area that is cold, icy, glaciers and mountains? On the flip side what about an area that is filled with volcanoes and lava, ash, rocky terrain? I think I want to use an overlay map style. I am still figuring things out so I figured I would ask you guys!

Mike

Comments

• I'll post something in the show and tell probably next week, to see what you think.

Mike
  • I'm pretty much a novice myself so I don't know the symbols very well. But what you describes sounds pretty good to me. I know I've seen snow covered mountains and trees, and I'm think you could make some ice type terrain (glaciers) if you can't find some.

Look through the descriptions of the various symbol sets, then check out the annuals. There is a whole lot of content in those. Someone might be able to tell you exactly which annual etc. You can also check out the CSUAC catalog, but I think that is more city based. I'm also told the Dunjinni forums are a good place to look for things, as well as the Cartographer's Guild.

Hopefully that helps a little.
  • Have you looked at some of the maps in the Community Atlas? There are a few arctic style maps that might inspire you, as well as some volcanic areas I think. You can find the link to Atlas in the top Stickie here in the forums.