Paste onto a added sheet (noob)

I searched the forums first but couldn't find any help with this. Not sure if I was just asking the wrong questions in search...

Preamble:
From FT3, Ive created and exported a continent outline into CC3+ but it doesnt have nodes so I need to create a new outline in order to makes tweaks to it. So I copied the outline to the clipboard, added a new sheet to paste onto (made sure the new sheet is selected), and pasted. No problem but...

No matter if the new sheet is active it pastes the outline onto the existing Contours (outline) sheet where the untweakable export is.
How can I paste onto the new sheet?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The sheet information is always part of the entity when you copy/paste. You'll need to change the sheet of the result afterward.

However, if you are inside the same drawing, don't use copy/paste, that isn't the best tool for the job. If you just need to copy it to another sheet, use the Copy to Sheet command instead (found by right clicking the copy in drawing button)

I am a bit confused as to what you are doing though. What do you mean it doesn't have nodes? And what do you want to accomplish by copying it? A copy will normally behave exactly as the original.

Note that the inability to edit an outline exported from FT is because it is a multipoly (You can choose in the FT export options if it should multipoly each export level or not). Multipolies cannot be edited, they need to be exploded first.
  • FT and CC3+ are not interchangeable. What I do is create a sheet called TRACE in my CC3+ map and import my FT image onto it. Then I literally trace the FT outline with the land drawing tool and then hide or delete the TRACE sheet. It's a little tedious, but it also gives you the opportunity to change things from your FT image. But you can't just import FT images into CC3+ as-is with their elevations, etc. and edit or make any changes directly to them.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: ScottABut you can't just import FT images into CC3+ as-is with their elevations, etc. and edit or make any changes directly to them.
    That's not technically true. Granted, the FT export will need to make contour lines in CC3+, as you cannot make 'per point' height as you have in FT, but the FT exports are fully editable in CC3+ (but watch out for the multipoly issue I mentioned above.)

Personally, I prefer exporting just the coastline though, as I usually use hills/mountain symbols to represent height in CC3+ rather than contour line, but if you want them, they are fully editable as well.
  • Okay, sorry, was trying to be assistance and apparently spoke out of turn. See, the more you learn the less you know! LOL! Monsen always to the rescue, thank heavens!
  • I just export the png and use it as a drawing guide. I have imported the ft3 fcw file and edited in CC3... I prefer the png import. Works better for me.
  • FT did a pretty good job with making an outline except for the Northern and Southern regions, which are lacking detail. So I wanted to play with those areas.
    Also, I made a archipelago area in FT which looks ok on the continental scale but when zoomed in to what would be a regional scale, its just a bunch of ugly shapes, so eventually I`ll want to pull from the map to make a closer-in regional map (not looking at ToK at the moment and forget the term it used) and need the ability to tweak them when the time comes.

Anyway, I tried exploding an entity but still getting a "this is not a Polyline" message. So, as painful as it`ll be, with my current level of understanding I think I have to go with ScottA`s method.
  • Well, it's really not as daunting a task as it might sound. Once you have the outline done you can always use the fractalize button on it as well to give it more of a random, natural, rough look. And then its easy enough to go in and tweak areas with the different draw tools to get it just the way you want. If your FT image has lakes that you want to you trace in be sure to put them onto a LAKES sheet or they will disappear beneath the landmass (that's one that vexed me on my first FT tracing as a noob!).