A CD3 Map to Share

I've been playing around with CC3 and add-ons for awhile, but this is the first map I've done that is close to finished. The map is of a little place called Picketstown, from my fantasy gaming world. Like Gettysburg, in our world, it's nowhere special. But like Gettsburg two armies met here and a war was decided.

The color palette is from the Annual issue on shaded relief maps and I used transparencies for the contours and fields to give everything a muted, blended look. The font is Edwardian Script, a Windows font - I'm not quite happy with the text sheet effects.

I hope you like it,
Garth

PS A big thanks to Gandwarf for his great tutorials!

Comments

• Nice map Garth and some great use of background colors. I am not a big fan of fonts with a very flourishing type of handwriting, mainly because they tend to become unreadable, but that's not the case with this font. Looking good!

Your map is a bit grainy though, you might want to save at a higher resolution.
  • Thanks! I played around for a bit with various Middle Earth derived fonts but they were all too hard to read. I have used a font called Railroad Roman, kind of a stretched Times New Roman. It duplicates the text on old box cars and is very readable. Not very 'fantasy' though. I just found this script scrolling through the list.

I saved the map as a 1000x800 jpeg since I didn't want it too be too large for the browser. If I save it bigger it will look better, but won't it be too large for this website?

Here it is again as a PNG - I just want to see if it's different.

Cheers,
    Garth
  • As a follow up - I think the first time I saved the image I had the grid turned on. The dots are tiny, but that may account for the grain....

Garth
  • Ah, that might solve the riddle :)
    Nice!
  • 6 days later
  • Looks nice.

The fields looks like it surrounds and encompassses Picketstown. Too big for my eyes, but nonetheless I'm sure you're trying to convey a particular feeling for this town you created. :)

Good map.