CC3+ Install: "Error"

Hey all,

So I recently installed CC3+ on a new laptop, then tried installing City Designer 3, but mistakenly selected the non-plus version and managed to corrupt my installation of CC3+. So I uninstalled everything and am now trying to reinstall the base program.

However, once I click "Next" a couple times after entering my serial number, I get an "Error" message. That is to say, a popup message that simply read "Error". No error code or any other information, which you can imagine makes searching for a clear answer a near-futile effort.

In my Add/Remove Programs directory I did find entries for a couple of updates that apparently stuck around after I uninstalled the core software, but it wouldn't let me uninstall those updates because the files had already been removed. So I scoured my registry deleted everything that had to do with CC3 or ProFantasy, hoping that something there was behind the error I was getting. Unfortunately, no luck; attempting to install CC3+ continues to give me that cryptic "Error" message shortly after I enter the registration key.

I'd appreciate any insight or advice you guys might be able to provide. I'm using Windows 10, 64-bit.

Thanks so much!

EDIT:
It seems to be installing now! I went back into the registry and did a thorough search for "CC3". I'd relied on using "ProFantasy" earlier as CC3 popped up in a whole lot of arcane registry keys that had nothing to do with the program. I don't know how many hundreds of irrelevant entries I had to sift through to find the ones I needed to delete...

Anyway, hopefully this is the last you'll hear from me on this issue!

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2017
    For the record, all the ProFantasy mapping software registry entries* are under
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EvolutionComputing

I believe it hearkens back to Campaign Cartographer's FastCAD roots (Evolution Computing makes FastCAD).

Obligatory Caveat: Naturally, no one should play with the Windows registry unless they're comfortable doing so, or following clear instructions. Anyone editing the registry should always backup the registry — or at least the part they're going to edit — before making any changes.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag

* Technically, the entries can also be found under the relevant HKEY_USERS\<UUID> registry key too but, really, no one should mess with that.
  • Can't check right now, but I'm pretty sure there's also entries for file extensions in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\, although I doubt these would be an issue during reinstall/uninstall.
  • Thanks for the info, both of you. No technical problems so far, but it's good to know where I'll need to look if I need to clean out my registry again.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2017
    pool7 pointed out:Can't check right now, but I'm pretty sure there's also entries for file extensions in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\, although I doubt these would be an issue during reinstall/uninstall.
    Yes, sorry. I was only talking about registry entries for the software itself that Windows uses to track installation and program options/settings. There are file extension entries as well but, as pool7 mentions, they shouldn't have any affect on installing or uninstalling the software.