Grid Overlay not showing on saved JPEG

Hello everyone,

I am a newcomer to the community and software and firstly let me say I am amazed with this software and community. I really hope I am not posting something that is easily solved but I have spent a few days trying to find a solution without pestering anyone here for help but i've hit a wall with no resolution in sight. I crafted a map that i plan to print out and use to run a watered down version of D&D for my 3 boys (starting them out young) so I will need the grid overlay to be clearly displayed.

On the map I have 2 sections I am attempting to save. The large main floor of the house and a much smaller basement map. They are both created using the same file on CC3 but I simply save it using rectangular JPEG and select each area separately. When all is said and done I have the basement map that displays the grid perfectly and the larger map that has no sign of the grid. when I was saving the map I have set it up to save at 400 pixels per 5ft square but in an attempt to resolve this on my own I have also saved it at the following pixels per 5ft square. 150/200/250/300/350.

I am going to try attach three images to this post, a screenshot of the image as it stands before I save it in CC3 and two subsequent images post saving. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Tony

Comments

• It seems i'm unable to upload the third photo, it is the house map minus the overlay, it has the faint grid present when creating the map but no overly as seen in the 2nd image.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The usual reason this happens is because grid lines are usually 0 width in CC3(+), which has the advantage that they will display as a thin line no matter the zoom level. When exporting it to an image file, this sometimes cause the grid to disappear, because technically, it is infinitely smaller than even a single pixel.

Best way to fix this is to give the grid some width. Either use change properties on it and give it a width value larger than zero (probably a value between 0.01 and 0.1) [On some templates the HEX/SQUARE GRID layer is frozen, and needs to be thawed before you can do this] or apply an effect to the grid that causes it to be rendered wider, such as a bit of short but strong glow.
  • They should change the default width of the grid tool to be the smallest successful requirement to export a satisfactory grid.

When I was a new customer this irritated me for a few days until I also ended up on the forums asking for help.
  • Oh and DmDomination
    Welcome to the community :) really love the look of what you have already achieved. I really like the black barrels. Give's the basement a dark scary feel.

As a small recommendation. On that second map. Try change the smaller rocks to the SYMBOLS LOWER sheet. It will reduce the shading on those making for more realistic rocks.
  • Thank you all for the help and Daplunk, i appreciate the welcome and I will move the rocks....i'm going to youtube how to do that and then do it lol.
  • fpg909fpg909 Newcomer
    edited September 2017
    Is this a new issue to CC3+? The problem recently spurred me to do a full blown re-install. I was already thinking about it since after the annuals were made compatible CC3+ it was really no longer necessary to have both loaded.

In searching the forum, and found this post which appears to be similar in nature, however changing the grid with has not fixed the problem for my build.

CC3+ will start to compile, reach the point where it displays the .jpg file path, then fail to show the completed image. Windows shows the .jpg file in the saved location. However trying to display it is met with a warning indicating that the image cannot be found. Suggesting that it is spelled or otherwise identified incorrectly.

Is there a secondary theory as to why CC3+ is doing this?

Added snip to show the results of failed compiling.
  • To answer my own post (for which I appologize), whatever is happening is happening at the Win10 Photo (app) level.

Changed what the image opens with to PS6 and it will open. It will also transfer to Fantasy Grounds and display.

As to why Win10 Photo Viewer is choking on the image I have not figured out.
  • Posted By: fpg909
    As to why Win10 Photo Viewer is choking on the image I have not figured out.
    Is it a very large file? The built in image viewers in Windows have always had a fairly low file size limit. Could also be some sort of encoding issue, I suspect.
  • Is your CC3+ installed on your E: drive ? If so, is that drive connected by permanent cable or USB plugin cable ?