Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthornickverto
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009 edited

So here is the DD3 map I have been working on the past 2 days. It's just the first floor of a Keep of a D&D adventure my group is going through.

Level 1
    Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

These may not make a ton of sense if you don't have the Shadow Rift of Umbraforge D&D module. The center area is a magical lift that allows people to float up and down the various levels of the keep so I tried to make it look like you can see down the shaft in the upper levels.
    • CommentAuthorMogul76
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009

A very beautiful, clean map. How did you do the stairs?
    • CommentAuthornickverto
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009 edited

What I did for these stairs is the following:

1. Create small wall extension from main wall that will surround two sides of the stairs
    2. Create STAIR01 through STAIR10 SHEETS and order them above the WALLS SHEET and add 2 glow effect strength 0 length 2 for each STAIR sheet.
    3. Starting with the highest level stair step use the Floor drawing tool to create each small step (note that you can overlap the stair step with the wall and the wall will hide any imperfection).
    4. Move the floor section to STAIR10 SHEET
    5. Repeat creating each step and assigning it to the corrisponding sheet

After creating the first set of stairs I used the copy and mirror tools to create the other 2 sets of stairs. I am sure there is some other brilliant easier way to create steps like these but I haven't figured out. If someone else has easier instrcutions please let us know.

Then you should be done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009

Very nice work! I love how you brought some variety to the bedroom by using slightly different sheet colors. Simple, but effective.
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2009

Yep, very nice map. Are you going to do the second floor as well?
    • CommentAuthornickverto
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2009

Posted By: GandwarfYep, very nice map. Are you going to do the second floor as well?

I will be doing two other floors that are part of the adventure (Shadowrift of Umbraforge). They are smaller floors.
    • CommentAuthornickverto
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2009

Added the other floors to the keep. Enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthoramdobritt

Very nice. :) Hope my floorplans look that nice when I get around to converting them to DD3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Very nice. A good map.
    • CommentAuthornickverto
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2009 edited

• CommentAuthorwarhound

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2009

Thanks for the FCW files. A good map is even more interesting when one can modify it yourself to fit your needs.
    • CommentAuthornickverto

Truthfully I don't really understand why people are so unwilling to share their map source files. It's one thing if your are selling your work but if it's just for fun why not share the FCW files? I don't see how it hurts anything and it helps the community.
    • CommentAuthorjaerdaph

Very nice maps!

Posted By: nickvTruthfully I don't really understand why people are so unwilling to share their map source files. It's one thing if your are selling your work but if it's just for fun why not share the FCW files? I don't see how it hurts anything and it helps the community.

I think part of the problem is that folks are using PNG symbols not included with Profantasy products, so sharing the FCW files becomes a little tricky because you need to supply those PNGs (and in most cases four PNGs of various sizes for each symbol) as well as provide instructions for where those PNG images have to be placed in a file directory to show up in the FCW. It's easier to just share a JPG or PNG of the map.
    • CommentAuthorNeonKnight
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2009

I love you map. It is very nice and evocative, but....

I do hate to say this, as it truly is a ice map, but it does suffer the one inherent problem I all too often see in keeps/castles. That of too thin exterior walls. The exterior walls should be much, much thicker than they are depicted. Also, some windows for natural light is a definite must.

Again, do not take this the wrong way. It is a very good map, and it is cool to see people follow a similar method for stair making as what I do.

If the keep is merely a CC3 copy of someone else's work then I cannot complain.
    • CommentAuthornickverto

NeonKnight I don't disagree for a second. The outer walls should be MUCH thicker than the inner walls. Yes, it is just a re-creation of the keep from an adventure so I tried to stay as close to the original as possible while adding some extra detail.

Sometime I will create a real fantasy keep that would be more realistic and more interesting.

Thanks for the input.
    • CommentAuthorNeonKnight

Well, On those merits then you did an EXCELLENT job :D
    Thanks very much! I can honestly see myself using these excellent maps!

AWizardInDallas: Cartography