Finding symbols in CC3+

Hi all
I have been labouring with this program and are making progress.
But one thing that eludes me is finding symbols.
I have a lot of addons and extra things, but dont know where it is.
I have CC3+, DD, CD, SS1, SS2, SS4 and annual 2 and 5 and free stuff.
What is the easiest way to switch between those symbol sets?
If i want to find Furniture from SS2 or annual or SS4 or whatever i have.
Its confusing.

If i start a map with Dungeon Jon Roberts and press SS4 i dont know how to get those back.

Hope someone will know what to do

Kind regards
Grimmric

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Symbols loaded by the symbol buttons on the toolbar depend on the current master filter setting. When you start a new map (or load an existing one), this value is set to the appropriate value for that map style, but clicking the various add-on buttons can change this.

For loading symbols from other styles than the one you are currently working on, there are two approaches:

- Simply load the symbol catalog manually by hitting the load symbol catalog button on the to of the symbol catalog window. All symbol catalogs are arranged in a folder hierarchy inside the Symbols directory in your CC3+ data directory. For fetching the occasional symbol, this is the simplest option, since it doesn't change the behaviors of any buttons.

- Change the master filter. You can toggle symbol style by clicking the symbol style toggle button in the left toolbars. However, this generally only moves between some of the possibilities, so if the desired style is not directly accessible trhough this, right click the button and select Master Filter Settings. This brings up the list of the currently defined master filters, use the radio buttons to enable any one of these (This list is what clicking the symbol style toggle button works through). To load a different set of master filters, hit the load button, load the filter set you want, and then activate the appropriate one. Note that if you frequently use the same styles, it can be advantageous to simply create your own list like this and save it under an appropriate name. With a custom list, the symbol style toggle button will toggle between just the filters you wanted.
    Loading an appropriate master filter list is also the solution when the symbol catalog buttons brings up the wrong symbol style for your map.
  • Monsen, thanks for that last tip! I just post that I was having that problem!
  • Thank you Monsen for the fine info.
    Very helpful.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2017
    Monsen posted the Reader's Digest version above. For more detail and some screen shots, see his related posts in his wonderful Command of the Week series: Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Once you come up with a symbol set that you like for towns, continents, etc.

Go into Symbols menu, and select Symbol Manager.

Click on the top symbol in the list.

Scroll down to the bottom of the list.

Hold down the shift key and click on the bottom most symbol.

Release the shift key.

Click on 'Save as Catalog'.

Browse to your Symbols folder, and the correct one for that symbol set, CD3 for cities, etc.

Click Save.

There will be a pause, and a popup will show that tells you how many symbols are in this new set.

Click Okay.

Now you can load that set the next time you make that type of map.

No longer any need to search all your folders.