CC3+ will not open - Solved

So i really can't even remember which map i was working on, as i've been flipping all over the place....but, today i couldn't open cc3+ directly or any map. I rebooted and was able to open a map....but then again after i closed the last map and tried to open a map later on nothing. I ran the update again...and it still won't open ANY map - i've tried just about ALL of them at this point and have rebooted my computer umpteen times. Any ideas? This has happened once before about a year ago and I think Joe maybe emailed me a fix, but i searched and can't find it - and there's been a few updates since then.

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Any changes made in July of 2016 should be rolled up into the updates since then.

Is it giving you any particular error message and crashing, is it just not opening CC3+, is it opening in CC3, or is the problem something else entirely?

One thing that you can try is to rename your map file that CC3+ is trying to automatically open at startup so that CC3+ can't find it. If CC3+ starts, then try manually opening the map using File>>Open.

I made some mistakes that cased some confusion around the initial release of update 13. There was a very quick iteration on update 13 that yielded version 3.79. Please make sure that you have that one installed.
  • My firewall/anti-virus doesn't allow much to open when it is updating. When it is done, then I can run software, connect to the Internet, etc.
  • I've deleted cc3, so i can't check any older maps. It's not opening cc3+ either directly or trying to open a saved map. I've tried to run the update again to no avail. I've tried to run as administrator - and nothing....i see my the mouse begin to cycle for a moment but then no response.

I've tried to rename the maps i'd been working on. No luck. I'm horrified at the thought of a reinstall. gulp.
    It is most likely a problem with a corrupted cc3plus.xml file. If you mail it to me, I can probably fix it for you
  • Any recent Windows update applied? Or any other software for that matter?
    Have you tried restarting your computer?
    If you go to task manager after trying to open CC3+, do you see the process running?
  • There was just a big Windows update that played havoc with my computer (backup stopped running, couldn't connect to the internet or when I did it was really slow and would crash, programs that needed internet connections stopped working, then my printer went offline and wouldn't work, etc). Seems to finally be okay, but it took a few days and a lot of fiddling. Stupid Windows! Might be that. Annoying, anyway. I feel your pain. Sorry, I can't be more help....
    This particular case was caused by the FRX tool not correctly sanitizing names, which allowed an invalid XML tag to be created. CC3+ silently disappearing on startup is a pretty good symptom of the problem. I thought that I had added better error reporting for that, but it looks like it didn't work as expected in this case. The fix was to replace the space characters in the XML tags under FRX with underscores.
  • 2 months later
  • I'm now having the same problem, can't open maps, can't open cc3+, not even when I right click/ run as admin. I just installed SS2 to cc3+ two or three days ago, and I was able to open maps day before yesterday. Now, all of a sudden, nothing. I get the mouse processing circle, then nothing happens. I can, however still open FT3. I tried to reinstall the last update, but it froze on me. I was going to do a repair install, but the setup.exe acted as if I was installing cc3+ for the first time, asking for the serial number. I was afraid I would lose the add ons I installed, so I cancelled it.

Any thoughts?