Capryse World Map (WIP)

Okay, so I managed to get over to a friend's house and borrow his internet for a few minutes. So I thought I would post the world map I've been working on the past few days. Now, before anyone says anything, I know my scaling is WAY off in places. Remember, I haven't been able to use my laptop (hence this program) for 5 MONTHS. I'm getting my feet wet again, so to speak.

Also, this is supposed to be an abandoned world, complete with the ruins of modern cities, but I don't have modern symbols to work with, and I'm not as talented as those of you that can make your own.
So here is Capryse

Comments

• Looks good to me. I think the different scale mountains gives it a feel of otherness.
  • edited September 2017
    I can't really see too much on my PC - can't really zoom in - but from what i can see in detail - i really like the city on the bottom right there - all creeped up on by the forest. Which i think is just perfect. As far as symbols, I would suggest trying some of the structure symbols from the Mike Schley set though, as some of them seem they could pass for more modern buildings.

Glad to see you back again, S

EDIT - oh wait is that another city up top, too? I think so...and if it is i like that! Next time you're on the net can you send some zoomed in pics of those regions? I'd love to get a closer look at what you've done there :)
  • Lol....yes, Lorelei, there are two ruined cities that the vegetation has overcome and over grown. I don't know how familiar you are with the mech warrior universe, but this world was colonized, conquered, invaded, and abandoned about 300 to 400 years before my players found it. It had been a staging area for the Clans in their plan to conquer the Inner Sphere. It's one of the Outer Rim World's.

Basically I'm running a mech warrior dark ages game, which takes place after.the defeat of the Clans, and after the fall of CommStar, and the HPG system. A lot of technology has been lost and has to be rediscovered.

As for the zoom in, I will see what I can do ?
  • Oh, I forgot.to mention...ALL of.my cities on this world.are.supposed.to be ruins like that. The intact cities you see are place holders, until I search out more ruin symbols.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Being able to draw one's own symbols is not a prerequisite of having talent, Storm.

Your map is beautiful in many other ways, as others have already pointed out, and I'm sure that you will quickly catch up any areas you feel you lack - even though there doesn't seem to be any evidence of them from where I'm seeing it.

If anything you have improved quite a lot. You are now using mountains, trees and ecological shading (desert etc) with greater intuition than before ;)

Welcome back :D
  • Ah, Sue, I can't tell you how much I've missed you all! And thanks! I'm still working on things....

Any way I hope to get internet soon ( I know, I've been saying that for a while but things are looking up at last). Then I will.truly be back :)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    It's absolutely pouring with rain here, and dark and moody as the eternally dark and moody Bladerunner city, but I've got a HUGE smile on my face at that news :D
  • It's a great start, LadieStorm.

I'm not sure how much detail you need for a MechWarrior campaign. This map seems to shows all the terrain features that define the geographic regions important to Mech operations. It's great. I look forward to seeing more.

DMG
  • LadieStorm! It is so good to see that you have returned.

Love the map! This has become one of my favorite styles.
  • Beautiful so far, looking forward to seeing more :)
  • Lol... Hey Shessar!! Remember, I'm not officially back yet, as I still don't have internet at home, and no cafe to go to for it, but now that I have my laptop back, I'm jumping back I. The saddle, so to speak. Posting maps will be few for a.bit, and posting in general is still hit and miss with my phone...the signal varies where I live now.

DMG, I think we met.before, just before.I moved :). You are correct, I think about mech warrior needing to know topography most, which is mostly what this map is, that and ruins of long forgotten cities. I admit, there isn't the usual hook found in my maps.... This one is just for clarification for my players.

Pixelkitteh, thanks so much! It's good to see.fresh new.posters here at the forums... well, new to me anyway. I've been out of the loop for about six months, so I'm looking forward to being able to meet all the new.mappers! I may be late in saying this, but welcome to profantasy!
  • 6 days later
  • Thanks for the lovely welcome!! I've been around a few months hehe, but it's still muchly appreciated! :) Once again, beautiful map!! I love how simple it is yet also quite detailed. It's wonderful.