Trace: Exact Trace vs Vague Trace

Something I've noticed for a while is that when I use the Trace function sometimes it traces the item perfectly and other times it is really vague, smoothing over and skipping small areas and points. What might be the reason for this?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    That depends on the drawing tools you use. A smooth drawing tool cannot trace a non-smooth entity perfectly, nor the other way around. Unfortunately, an entity cannot be partially smooth.
  • Okay, so fractal to fractal and smooth to smooth? I'll try to be aware of that the next time it happens.

While on the subject of Trace -- does the Trace command not work on objects/polys that have been Grouped? I believe I've encountered that, too. And if not why is that? Are polys that have been grouped together not still polys? Just curious as to the inner-workings.

Thanks, as always, Monsen. Always a fount of information.
  • I use the imported png as a guide. So I do try to make it as close as possible, I use multipoly ad not trace, and then adjust if necessary. So if I realize I need a bay, I put one in.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    No, trace doesn't work on grouped entities. You can temporarily unlock groups by clicking on on the "Locked" button in the lower right though. The grouped polys are still polys, but when grouped (and groups are locked), CC3+ treats them as a single complex entity, something Trace doesn't support.
    You'll find that there are multiple things that work differently when entities are grouped. Personally, I usually don't use groups at all.
  • I used to use Group a lot but found that it ultimately caused more problems than solutions -- well, time, anyway, as I so often had to go back in and Ungroup to do something. So I don't use it much anymore. I was just curious as to why that was.