Proper way to create a background

Hello,

Complete newbie with probably a terribly simple question. I create my terrains/backgrounds in a range of other tools, from Photoshop, Illustrator to, lately, World Builder using real world data — some DEMs, some generated with my own software.

What's the "proper" way to enter this stuff into CC3 to begin the work of creating a CC3 map? Do I import it as a gigantic symbol?

Julian

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    It depends on exactly what you mean with terrain/background. Are you talking about image tiles which are to be used for filling objects? If so, you can import them as fill styles (Tools -> Import bitmap fill styles).
    Or if you are going to just use it as a background image, just do Draw -> Insert file (Make sure you switch to the appropriate sheet first, or move it afterwards)
  • Hey, thanks. Just for clarification — I create these backgrounds (actually, the baseline terrain without any symbols or other "man-made" structures, etc — so, it's effectively the geography. Then, I would like to use CC3, CD, etc., to enliven the maps with symbols, roads, etc. I create the maps from GPS tracks, through a "heat map" software of my own that creates simple gray scale masks. Then I import those gray scale masks into World Machine and run it through its paces to create fractal landscapes.

I would like to use FT3 to create the landscapes, but I can't seem to get it to pay much attention to scaling my gray scale masks, which really only cover about 20 - 30 square km and a limited latitude/longitude range. I've tried turning the masks into DEM terrains, but that too has not gone particularly well.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Then you wish to use them as complete background images. In that case, use the Draw -> Insert file option, and insert it on a sheet low in the drawing order, so that everything you draw ends up on top of it.