Some monster's cave - finished my first map (ish)

So, it took me a good while and several cries for help on this forum, and I'm still tweaking and nitpicking about all sorts of details, but I produced something I think is actually good enough to show.

I'm not going into too much detail, because I'll probably put this on DMsguild at some point. Basically it's a lair for a low-level 'monster of the week' style D&D adventure. The narrower passage, too small for the monster, will be inhabited by its parasitic roommate, but is otherwise an excellent way to sneak up on and/or flank the target. Since everyone and their mother has darkvision these days, I'll probably add some basic lair actions like falling rocks to make it challenging.

I'm reasonably satisfied, but I'd love to hear feedback :)

Bigger version here.

Comments

• A nice, simple basic cave... proving that sometimes less IS more! One of the things I found interesting, is the way you layered the bushes near your cave entrance, I hadn't thought of that!

One suggestion I would make, and it's really just an idea, is to break up the.big empty spaces with a stalagmite or two ( or is it stalagtite? I always get.them confused). If you think about it, caves are dark and clammy places, so some may have.formed. plus it.gives something for your players (or your monsters) to duck and hide behind!
  • I love your cave! The larger cave section really is not that big when you compare it to the body. If you added anything more to it, a medium to large creature probably could not use it very well. :-)
  • LadieStorm: As an old colleague once put it, "mites go up, and tites come down"...
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Wyvern helpfully suggested:LadieStorm: As an old colleague once put it, "mites go up, and tites come down"...
    Or, as my geologist friend once told me, G for ground (stalagmites) and C for ceiling (stalactites).  :D
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    I like the clean look of this map. Nice use of the various debris and vegetation symbols. SS4 Dungeons of Schley has some very nice, crisp, symbols and I think you put them to good use here. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Thanks for all these nice comments!

It took me a while to get the bushes right. I would've preferred using fewer symbols, but that made getting the overall shape right and discerning them enough from the trees difficult.
    I've thought about adding small stalagmites as difficult terrain (big ones for cover would be deeper underground I think?), but I couldn't find a fitting symbol or a good way to draw them myself. Maybe next time I'll look into that some more.

And SS4 was probably my biggest argument in for buying CC3+. I love Mike Schley's style. Is there any chance there will be more symbols and textures by him in the future?
  • edited September 2017
    Nice map, Dicey!

As far as symbols from Mike...i was lucky enough to get into a map kickstarter of his that came along with a few great symbols (trees and bushes, too!) so i know he is still working on new symbols. i would check out his site periodically to see if he offers to sell them separately in the mean time :)

As far as a stalagmite or stalactite (C - for CEILING is an easy way to remember which is on the ground and which is on the ceiling of a cave) Aaaaaanyway, one way is make one - here's what i do.....you can make one your self by taking a simple polygon and applying an edgefade effect (must be at top of effects list) and a lighted bevel effect (which you can adjust to get the right look). Below is a quick sample

EDT: - and....i just read Dogtag's comments. haha. great minds, and all ;)
  • That technique looks promising, thanks for the tip (and the compliment) Lorelei :)
  • This is a great map, Dicey Games. Perfect for a one-off encounter, and the lair of some monster. I could easily use this map. It has enough detail, yet remains simple - does what it says on the tin!

Very well done.

DMG
  • Wonderful! I especially love how you did the cavern walls.
  • Gaz: That's what I was aiming for, so thank you!

Shessar: That's the thing I'm most happy about myself, so it's really cool that you took notice, thanks :)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Very cool map, DG, and never feel that something has to be 'good enough to show'. All maps are beautiful in my world - just different kinds of beautiful. That's all :)