Tower of the Gods - a Battle Royale

Hey all. So, i've been playing around with the idea of having a "Battle Royale" with my players - they are about to complete a significant part of the long term story arc and before they set out on some other adventures i thought this would be a good palette cleanser :)

So the idea is this....each of my PCs but one have aligned themselves in some way with a god (light and dark) be it, cleric or just a "devout follower" and they find themselves back at their home base celebrating the success of their quest (hopefully). When they turn in for sleep after hours of libations and debauchery, each of them dream.....They each suddenly wake up on a turret (determined by a d8 roll) with a glowing crystal in the center- looking around they see their companions on other turrets and realize they are on a tower high above floating in the sky. Suddenly they all hear a reverberating voice in their heads commanding them to fight for their lives, to fight each other, to fight for their god and if victorious be granted their patrons "God Touched" item (weapon, armor, etc). I'll set a timer for Lair Actions which are then determined by first rolling a d8 for which turret's Lair Action is set off and another to determine which Lair Action occurs by way of the crystal in the center (I've yet to determine the Dex or Con DC saves for these, but most likely at least a DC15 for half or full damages) as another obstacle to overcome.

The victorious is given the opportunity to some Paladin features (or to multi-class if they'd like) and a God Touched item depending on the god/goddess, alignment of said god and strengths of the PC to start the next adventure with.

So - OBVIOUSLY this is not perfect in any way. I really couldn't get the tower quite right (getting the right depth perception would require more advanced skills than my own - i DID get ambitious and tried doing this with poly wedges, but that started to get too complicated for me), but for my players, like i've said before, who have turned into a bunch of murder hobos could care less about the details of the map - they'll just love the concept :) We'll play this on Roll20 - as this map is too big to print out for tabletop

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Sounds like fun! I can hear the video game voice in my head, myself, "Ready Player One. FIGHT TO THE FINISH!"
  • OMG Lorelei, this is so COOL!!! I may have to borrow this idea for my next game, once my players turn away.from the sci fi futuristic, and get back into the fantasy Right now I'm trying to map underground bunkers and genetics labs for a mech warrior.game I'm running.
  • Thank you! I'm pretty excited to run this battle! I've never played in a futuristic game before, but it's always intrigued me. Put up a map when you get one finished and get online - can't wait to see what you're up to these days!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited August 2017
    I'm curious to know how it all plays out, Lorelei. I haven't had my players fight each other just yet, beyond subduing someone who was mind-controlled, but that's not the same thing. They did each fight themselves once, thanks to a trapped mirrored hallway (that was fun because I had them control both and I didn't tell them which one was the real them and which was the reflection, muah-ha-ha-ha). But, again, no full-on, "Thunderdome," combat against each other. Yet.  >:D

Please keep us posted!  :D</sub.
  • Gorgeous map, Lorelei, and an interesting scenario. Like Dogtag, I'd love to know how it goes. My player's are too wary of me, and too tight a team, to fight themselves and I'd be interested to hear what happens.

DMG