I'm new here, so I hope you'll forgive me

Hi. I'm James, and I'm an absolute novice at CC3 and CC3+. I've watched dozens of youtube videos in the month that I've owned the software, and I've only gotten marginally better. So I'm going to apologize in advance if I ask too many "stupid" questions. I'm honestly doing my best, but this is so far outside of my norm that I'm pretty lost. So please bear with me, if it pleases you. I can handle plenty of flaming though, I was on usenet in the 90's, so I'm pretty much fireproof at this time. But I do hope that I don't insult anyone's intelligence by asking too many stupid questions.

Comments

• Don't worry. This software has a learning curve. It is not like paint program as it is based on CAD. software. The selection process is different. Just ask your question and we will try to help.

I was on bitnet. back in the 1980s. We rarely bite.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited August 2017

Hi Eccehobo (or James, if you prefer), welcome to CC3+ and the ProFantasy forum!
    Eccehobo wrote:I've watched dozens of youtube videos in the month that I've owned the software...
    Video tutorials are great, especially Joe Sweeney's stuff. Also, community member Tonnichiwa recently started a YouTube channel with some video tutorials. But I also strongly encourage you to follow the tutorials in the CC3 Essentials guide. The tutorials are fun and very informative. You'll find the Essentials guide on your computer, in your Documentation sub-folder. The complete CC3+ User Manual is there too, and it also has tutorials. They are PDF documents. You can also download both documents from your account page.

The CC3 Essentials guide is not very long and it will familiarize you with the software quickly. It was written for CC3 but everything in there applies to CC3+. Some button images might be a little different but they are similar enough that it should not be an issue. The CC3+ User Manual is written specifically for CC3+ and it explains things in more detail. Also, you can open the CC3+ User Manual from the Help menu in CC3+.

Another good resource is the Interesting, Important, and Helpful Topics discussion. It's a "sticky" topic that always sits at the top of the forum discussion list. And, of course, the forum here is very active and filled with friendly, helpful folks. We've all been at the starting end of the Campaign Cartographer Learning Curve™ and the community is typically happy to share what we've learned, or point folks in a helpful direction.  :D

Cheers and happy mapping!
    ~Dogtag
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Welcome, James. There are some great, knowledgeable, helpful folks here, so ask away and don't feel that you are asking stupid questions. I think the most important thing to remember is that as JimP said, CC3+ is a CAD program which is totally different than a Photoshop or Gimp art program. That was (and continues to be at times... sigh) my biggest hurdle. Try to put anything you know about art programs out of your head and learn the CAD commands. But take them one at a time or you'll be overwhelmed. Learn and use one and then go on to another. That works for me, anyway. This software can do amazing things -- you'll be blown away once you start digging into it just what you can do with it.
  • Hey James! I'm Storm, it's a pleasure to 'meet' you!

A very wise person once said, "the only stupid question is the one left unasked."

Every single person on this site once sat in your shoes...opening the cc3+ program for the first time and wondering, 'how in the world am I supposed do this?'. I've been at it a year and a half now, and I'm STILL asking 'stupid question's!

The people here are all artists in.their own ways, and some have pulled of maps and images that will truly blow your.mind! Lorelei, Tonnichiwa, LoopeySue and Shessar, just.to name a few. I've learned so much from them!!!

As for the flaming....well I have a map/Image that.flames a bit, and that's about as bad as it.gets,.here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we are all adults,.and most of us have been adults.for quite.a while?. We assist, suggest, inspire and encourage, we don't get into petty bickering.

You've joined a tight knit community, and we hope you'll have some fun with us!
  • LadieStor is too modest to add her name to the ones making fantastic maps.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Yes, and so many more.

James, as LadyStorm said, we are all adults here and it is a friendly community. In the six or eight months I've been active here I have not seen a single snarky comment made anywhere (a true and miraculous thing for an interwebs forum, as well all know!). The only trolls here are those in our maps and games! If someone has a question, regardless of how simple or complicated, someone steps up to provide an answer. The community is also good at giving friendly advice and critiques on user maps. The community has really helped me to make my own maps so much better. Always nice to have an extra set of eyes look something over, and all that. Plus the tips, tricks, and suggestions from the more experienced cartographers are invaluable.