Update Installation Issues

I know, no one has seen or heard from me in a good long time, sorry about that. I've moved, and can't get to where I used to go to get online. I haven't been able to get internet at home yet. We're working on it.

Anyway, I was able to bring my laptop to a friend's house that has internet, and decided to check for updates. I downloaded the newest update, but it won't install... it continuously locks up, even when I run as administrator. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Where does it lock up? Right after you accept the EULA?

If that's the case, it sounds like a corrupted registry entry for the CC3+ serial number which sometimes happens on an interrupted setup or de-installation.

Please open the Windows registry and delete the following entry:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EvolutionComputing\CampaignCartographer3Plus\SerialNum
    That should allow the setup to continue past the EULA.

In case you need instruction on how to edit the Windows registry let me know.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    To add a bit to Ralf's answer, did you wait a while? It is quite normal that it goes into 'not responding' for several of minutes while it is working (time dependent on the speed of your computer/hdd), but normally, it will recover by itself.
  • STORM!! Holy how've ya been? Hope your still making some maps and playing tabletop rpgs! Hope to see you around more - and possibly contribution to the atlas once you get more reliable internet services? Miss ya, hun!
  • Hey Ralf, yes it happens after the EULA, and after clicking next to start the install. And yes, I do need to know how to get into the registry.

Hey Monsen, I will try waiting longer before giving up and trying Ralf's suggestion.

Hey Lorelei!!! I miss you guys too! You don't know how much! I had.to put up the laptop for a while when we moved, because we had a bug problem, and I had to make sure we didn't bring them with us! Luckily my laptop was clean, and I was able to get it out of storage and bring it in the house. But yes, I'm still gaming, and yes I'm mapping again... but I had to put it away for almost 5 months...so I'm having to go back and remember how to do everything!

Right now I'm working on a world map for a mech warrior campaign I'm running (Larysia's currently on the back burner)... and I was finally going to work with the modern symbol set I bought months ago. Only to learn that cc3+ can't find it, so I'm doing a repair right now.

Which reminds me! Besides SS3, are there any other modern symbol sets? For overland mapping? I'm trying to map an abandoned world with the ruins of war torn cities, and the only ISO symbols I have are fantasy based. I'm currently using them, but this is a more futuristic science fiction type campaign. The fantasy symbols don't quite fit.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited August 2017
    Posted By: LadieStormBesides SS3, are there any other modern symbol sets? For overland mapping?
    Not too much in that department as I know of. Most modern maps doesn't use elaborate symbols, but rather simple markers. Cosmographer has a nice overland style (Overland Cosmographer Satellite), but it is very symbol-light, focusing more on fills.

Nice to hear from you though. Hope you get your internet sorted soon so you can come back to us :)

If you need to edit the registry, I've attached a file that will do it for you, just unzip the zip file first, then run the .reg file inside by double clicking on it.
    Note that Windows WILL ask you if you really want to do this, with good reason, as you should never run a .reg file without knowing what is inside it, since a file with malicious content could easily mess up your computer. Feel free to open the file in notepad first to see what is inside it.
  • Posted By: LadieStorm

Which reminds me! Besides SS3, are there any other modern symbol sets? For overland mapping? I'm trying to map an abandoned world with the ruins of war torn cities, and the only ISO symbols I have are fantasy based. I'm currently using them, but this is a more futuristic science fiction type campaign. The fantasy symbols don't quite fit.
    Do you have Perspectives? Tony (Tonnichiwa) has been working on some great iso symbols with it...maybe he can help you out?
  • Thanks, Remmy, but your first suggestion about just waiting a bit panned out. I restarted it a little.bit ago, and after about 10 minutes, I finally saw the bar.start.to fill. It just finished the update.

Lorelei, I do have perspectives, but not installed. The last time I installed it, it sort of crashed my system (cc3+, not my computer) so I uninstalled it, and I'm afraid to give it another try! Lol.
  • Howdy ! My installs were locking up, it was my firewall. I put it on pause and then things installed. I have since changed it to 'ask me' if its okay a program runs, and that fixed the lockup problem to.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hey Storm :D

Great to see you back in action! :D :D :D
  • Hey, Jim and hey Sue!

Jim, perspectives wasn't locking up my laptop. It locked up my cc3+. I couldn't load anything, or get past the perspectives logo window.

And Sue, I'm only halfway back in action...much farther from free internet sources than I used to be. Basically, I moved to a small town! No internet cafe!!!

But other than that, I love it! I live in a house with a large yard for my dog to run in. I have hard wood floors, no one living above or below me, and I'm on a quiet street where neighbor's introduce themselves and strangers smile and wave hello if they see you in your yard!

My boys are at a school where the teachers seem to care about their students, and parents don't let their kids run rampant. Best of all, I put my stamp on this house and yard and make this place my home, instead of just somewhere I live. I even get to landscape the yard!!!
  • Congrats ! Sounds like a nice place.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Oh boy! At LAST!!!

I am so very glad that things are looking up for you :D
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited August 2017
    Welcome back LadieStorm! I was wondering what happened. I'm glad to learn your laptop is bug free (well, actual, physical bug-free at least) and that you like your new place. Sorry to hear you won't be jumping on frequently just yet, though. I hope you get that sorted soon.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • I'm looking forward.to it too!

I admit I had hoped.we.would have internet.by now. But truth to tell, we.were not financially ready to move. Our expenses are less than we had before, but we are.having to catch up from the move itself, which turned out to be more expensive than we thought.

Still, the opportunity presented itself, and we would have been fools not.to take it!