A new map preojection

I found this on Facebook today. It is a new, and very unusual, map projection that greatly reduces distortion.

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/authagraph-world-map

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    The big question for me about this projection is: reduces distortion how? The motivation behind this projection seems to be mostly political rather than mathematical. For me, a political projection means that it's unlikely to be useless for any planet except Earth. Fuller's Dymaxion projection is a good example of a projection popular with a certain crowd that only works on a certain continental configuration.

If you want a good compromise projection (usually trading area distortion for shape distortion), you're probably going to end up with an interrupted projection of one form or another (the interrupted Goode Homolosine projection is popular).
  • Posted By: jslaytonThe big question for me about this projection is: reduces distortion how?
    It appears to move the worst of the distortion to oceans, which is actually useful in some ways.
    The motivation behind this projection seems to be mostly political rather than mathematical.
    That's true of all new projections for at least the last hundred years.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    I'm not a fan of the AuthaGraph projection because it doesn't really add anything useful beyond most of the existing projections, as far as I can tell. It massively distorts shape and area and direction except in a few points.