Creating Templates & Drawing Tools - re Annual Dec 2007

I've now worked my way through the Dec 2007 edition of the Annual, including creating the Dungeon Blue drawing style. I was reasonably successful and thus thought that the next step should be to attempt to create my own Drawing Style template, complete with tools, symbols, etc.

Being a great fan of Traveller, I selected a hand drawn starship deckplan style that I have at home as my inspiration and thus set to.

Using CC3, with the Cosmographer Pro CC3 Compatibility update, I based the map on a Cosmographer Pro template, deliberately selecting a template size closest to the 1000 x 800 DD3 template used. The only difference being the fact that I wanted a metric unit of measure (meter) so that I could use a 1.5m square grid beloved of Traveller.

Following the directions in the Dec 07 Annual I eventually moved on to developing a set of drawing tools. Unfortunately I do not appear able to get my set of drawing tools to become permenantly associated with the map, even when I follow the directions closely. I have subsequently attempted starting from the beginning again, using a DD3 template as my start point (no luck), and have even attempted to replicate the Dungeon Blue example again (under a new name), but in each case I cannot get the new set of drawing tools I create each time to become permanently associated with the new map.

Instead I simply appear to get whatever default drawing tools were originally associated with the original template coming up. My new Drawing Tools are all there and I can call them up through the style list and use them to create objects. What I do not appear able to do any longer is associate them as the default set with the map and save it that way successfully.

There is probably a simple explaination, but currently I can't see it. I would be greatful if anyone could help.

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Hi there,

I gather you've set your new style in the Drawing Properties, right?

If the default style still keeps coming back, it's probably set in the OnOpenMacro and OnNewMacros. Open up the drawing properties and chen choose Map Notes. Edit the respective macros and remove the "DTSTYLEM xxxxxx" line - or replace the xxxxxxx with the name of your new style.

Hope that helps,
    Ralf
  • 11 days later
  • JBMJBM
    edited February 2009
    Ralf,
    Thank you very much indeed. However, although initially it appeared to work and I did have to edit the two macros, it failed to stick.

As soon as I used the Drawing Tools button the original drawing tool style came back and then sticks around. My drawing tools style is in the list of drawing tools, and I can use it when I select it, but as soon as I use the drawing tools button the default tool reverts to the cosmographer deckplans tool.

If you have any other ideas I would be greatful for any help.

JBM
    Hmmm... I'm at a loss. Could you send me the map (ralf(at)profantasy.com), so I can take a look at it?
  • Ralf,

Thanks very much for this. Map is on its way.

The problem is probably something simple, but I’m just not as familiar with this program as I’d like to be.

Thanks

JBM
    The probem lies in the Cosmographer menu. The draw tool button there only opens the Cosmographer Deckplan tools, no matter that style your actual map has. You have a few options:

- Load another menu before accessing your drawing tools, for example the standard CC3 menu, then use the All drawing tools button there.
    - Edit the Cosmographer menu. E.g. open cosmo.mnu in the CC3 folder with a text editor and replace line
    #203,CC2DRAWTOOLS:[All Deckplan Tools]{|DTSTYLEM Cosmographer Deckplans;DRAWTOOLSM;*;}|DTSTYLEM Cosmographer Deckplans;DRAWTOOLSM;*;
    with
    #203,CC2DRAWTOOLS:[All Deckplan Tools]{|DRAWTOOLSM;*;}|DRAWTOOLSM;*;

Basically the Cosmographer menu is not very well-suited for custom styles, because it's set up to make all the basic Cosmographer styles (deckplan, overland, etc.) available in one menu. We'll correct this in the upcoming Cosmographer 3.
  • Ralf, Thanks very much indeed. That has done the trick!

I must admit that the answer was somewhat more obscure than I was expecting and its good to know that I'm not as much of a dunce with CC3 as I was beginning to think. Hopefully now I'll be able to work my way through the Dec 2007 Annual exercise and produce my own starship deckplans drawing style.

Thanks again

JBM