Creating Custom Symbols - Random Transformations

Hi Team,

Does anyone have a tutorial for creating random transformation?

I have successfully create custom catalogues with Mike Schleys Schleyscapes KS1 symbols. I want to take it the next step and get all the variations reacting in a more random way.

I've been playing with the Random Transformations in the Symbol Management > Symbol Settings but it doesn't appear to be changing anything.

Josh

Comments

• Josh.P.Josh.P. Traveler
    I have named the files like so:

SS_001_Token_Flora_Tree_Small_large_078.png
    SS_001_Token_Flora_Tree_Small_large_079.png
    SS_001_Token_Flora_Tree_Small_large_080.png
    SS_001_Token_Flora_Tree_Small_large_081.png

Once loaded in they all display as a single symbol. There's no plus sign though indicating there are other symbols grouped together.

Symbol is one of a collection = ticked
    Set to: Numbers at the end

Collection options: Randomly select from collection

Random Transformations = ticked
    Rotate Range = 360.00000
    Scale Min = 0.90000
    Scale Max = 1.10000
    Damn this is frustrating.

I've got the rotate working.

I've had the random collection working a few times but only on tests. Can't get it working on the primary folder. Seems to be something to do with the name. Maybe my names are too long and it's messing with it somehow. Also using the same map to test multiple changes is apparently a bad idea. Failing on an old map but working on a new map.
    Ok it took the better part of 6 hours to figure out but got it working.

It did not like the names. I suspect the file name was too long. I have to rename them all to something shorter with the numeric identifier on the end.

Once that was complete it worked quite well.

Time to start mapping.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Glad you figured it out.

Symbol names are limited to 31 characters. If the image names are longer, they will be truncated, and if multiple images have identical names after this truncation, only one of them will end up becoming a symbol in the drawing. You should see that something is up by looking at the numbers CC3+ gives you after importing the images, and in the symbol manager, which always lists all symbols without any grouping, you should also see that some symbols are missing.

As for testing multiple times in the same file; This works, but make sure to delete all test symbols you placed in the map, and then either use PURGESYM to purge the current definitions before importing new ones, or make sure you have Rebuild All selected int he import dialog.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    My experience converting the annuals was that the symbol names need to be 32 or fewer characters. I don't know if that's a real thing or not, but symbols names that I imported in a symdef file were always truncated to 32 characters if they were longer than that.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Hm... I know the Schleyscapes symbols aren't "official" CC3+, but would it be possible/feasible for someone to create a button for it for the Custom Icon Bar like we have with the Bogie and CSUAC symbols? Especially as he says he's doing more. Just a suggestion.
    I've got it working so I can press the current buttons and it pops up a menu letting me choose between the standard dungeons of schley sets and the KS1 sets. Pretty happy with that but an installer with it's own buttons would have been sooo much easier.