UKgnome

I am intending to digitise a box set of stuff and to that end have scanned the maps and want to import the scan in to Profantasy, trace the edges of the coast, forests etc and then over time add on the location of dungeons etc that are not currently marked.

SO

I have imported a jpg image onto a Sheet I called TRACE. I have positioned this sheet at the bottom of the column with every other sheet above it (which should, I think, put the TRACE sheet on the top of the pile with every other sheet below it so I should be looking through that sheet to the rest)

I have turned on transparency to 50% but it seems that the sheet is not see through (I have tried values of 10% and 90% with no difference). I suspect my understanding of how things work with effect to transparency may be lacking so advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• I typically draw on the imported png or jpg. i have it on its own sheet and own layer.

When I have done say a continent, I hide that layer, and then look at the map I drew. I compare tghem to see if they are close. I don't think CC2/CC3/CC3Plus can make an import transparent. Neither can Irfanview. But I think Gimp can.

By going back and forth between hidden and show, I can see if they match or if there is a big difference.

Due to eyesight problems, I just go for 'close match' rather than an exact match.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Your method should work, but check these
    - Make sure the image is actually on your TRACE sheet
    - Make sure you applied the effect to the TRACE sheet
    - Make sure effects are turned on
    - Make sure you haven't hidden the MERGE layer
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I have experienced this exact same problem myself on several occasions, and I've done all those checks, but still had no success. In the end, and because I've been pressed for time I've simply turned the image I want to trace into a fill, scaled it to the exact proportions of the map, drawn a rectangle that covers the map extent and filled it with the trace image. Then I've added a transparency effect.

The standard way (the one you describe) used to work really well, but it stopped working back in March for me, and it hasn't worked since. I just thought it was something to do with me and my machine, and I haven't had the time to mention it - it wasn't top on my priority list because I created the fill workaround.