Working with multiple Levels

Hello
I have a question about working with multiple layers.

I can specify a map to use multiple layers. But how do I work efficiently with it?
I know that from the City Designer, I can build buildings that take over the outer walls. But I need something different.

I'm trying to draw a city within a mountain. This city has no fixed boundaries. The contour of the mountain changes from level to level.
If I now try to create vertical structures (spiral staircases, ramps over several elevation levels) I miss a fixed reference point.

So my question: How can I efficiently copy parts of my drawing to another plane without an offset in x and y direction.
Is there a tool or a macro that allows to automate multiple levels?
My project has 22 levels - it would save me a lot of work.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited August 2017
    I assume all maps are the same size (They will be if you specified multiple levels in the new map wizard).
    If so, make sure to utilize CC3's coordinate system.
    An easy way to make sure entities end up on the same place in a new map is to specify the origin point during copy as 0,0. When you paste it in a new map, instead of placing it visually, just type in 0,0 to place it at that coordinate. That will cause it to end up in the exact same spot.

If you have Cosmographer 3, switching to the Cosmographer menu, you'll also find a copy to level command under Cosmographer -> Multi deck tools. This is an even quicker way of copying something to the same spot in another map.
  • Thanks Monsen for your tip.

I have Cosmographer. This is exactly the function I was looking for.
    Sometimes we overlook the obvious.
    In the menu Cosmographer, I would never have been looking for something like that.
  • Another method i use it to make the basic map, say first floor of an Inn.

Then save as that filename01 to filename02, and how many floors it has.

When I do that, all walls line up on all 3 or 4 maps.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited August 2017
    Or if you are doing only 2-3 levels in a map, you could even do them all in the same map, but just have them on different sheets.

ie if I have 3 levels of the buildings, for example, I triplicate all the sheets involved in a single level and name them clearly "[usual name for this sheet] 01", "[usual name for this sheet] 02", and "[usual name for this sheet] 03", and switch them visible or invisible according to which level I want to render. This is particularly useful used in combination with the new copy/paste sheet effect buttons.

However, I think this method may have limitations (have a tendency to be a bit confusing) if used for more than 2-3 levels :P