Flatten tool for Fractal Terrains 3

Hullo. I can't seem to find this answered via google or in the forums which makes me feel like a complete ninny, but... how do I flatten terrains with a brush if I am sculpting landscapes in Fractal Terrains?

Roughening and smoothening an area eventually leads to very high or deep flat areas - but I can't seem to just make... plateaus. Fields. Flat spots. I don't want the entire world flat, just an area I'm drawing.

What am I missing?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Joe might have a better approach, but if you use Tools -> Paint Values -> Land Roughness and set that to zero (or a small value like 0.1 for some roughness), you can then paint the land offset value with the height you want. This should lead to a flat area.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    There is no brush that paints altitude values. However, you can select an area and then use Tools>>Global Set>>Altitude Value to flatten it. You may find that the set altitudes are a little rough. If they area too rough, you can (as Monsen suggests) reduce the fractal contribution in an area by painting lower roughness values and then using Tools>>Global Set>>Altitude Value.