Mega Dungeon Mapping

So I'm getting ready to start mapping a really large dungeon (1600 x 2400 ft, multiple levels) and I'm hoping to get some advice or things to look out for before I re-invent the wheel :)

I have DD3 (and using CC3+) so I'm planning on using the same methods as outlined in the TUM. Are there things I should not do? Specifically;
- The wall mask technique, is this going to work with the extensive number of elements?
- I'll have to be careful with effects. Anything in particular to avoid? (I don't plan on using lighting so that should help.

I do intend to have a low detail (i.e. no furnishing etc) version of the overview and then use the same map for generating small area (room) maps that have lots of detail, furnishings, effects, etc. Any issues using the same map for high and low zoom maps? Will I need to try and have two sets of effects?

Thanks in Advance :)

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: LordEntrailsAny issues using the same map for high and low zoom maps? Will I need to try and have two sets of effects?
    For effects to properly support multiple zoom levels, consider using effects where the units are based on view size, and not map units, this fits them to your view. (Or if you plan on just copy the rooms to a new map containing just one room, you can define effects based on map extents)
    Posted By: LordEntrails- The wall mask technique, is this going to work with the extensive number of elements?
    Should work fine.
    Posted By: LordEntrails- I'll have to be careful with effects. Anything in particular to avoid? (I don't plan on using lighting so that should help.
    Most effects should be fine, but you may consider if you need to work with effects off if they slow you down too much.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited August 2017
    Some general dungeon mapping advice that you probably already know, but always bears repeating: keep a very close eye on the sheet and layer settings as you work. Make sure everything is going where you want it to go. This can be particularly important if you're using wall-cutting symbols (doors, portcullises, etc).

If you're making a truly mega dungeon, consider setting colors for certain parts of the dungeon before drawing them (or changing them after drawing them). If you are using bitmap fills, the colors will not show, but you can use the colors to select "by color," which lets you create sort of sub-categories, even within the same sheet or layer. For example, if you set the orc area to red and the goblin area to green and the dragon area to yellow, you can easily select entities, like floors, related to those areas, even if all the floors are on the floors layer. You can do the same thing with symbols! Naturally, varicolor symbols will visibly change to match the color, but non-varicolor symbols will not show any visible difference. Monsen pointed out this trick a short while back and I've personally found it to be very helpful on occasion.
  • Thanks Monsen & Dogtag :)

I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do about effects. Will have to play and see. I intend to have enough quality to do printable poster size maps, room/area battle maps and then a smaller GM size overview map with a coordinate grid on it. I think the coordinate grid will be needed for describing room locations (even though the primary purpose is for a Fantasy Grounds module which will use pins) and especially portals exits. So I might even need different effects for the GM maps since it will be low resolution (no bigger than 1024 pixels I suspect).

Which raises a question, 300 dpi @ 24"x36" yields 7200 x 10800 pixels. Will there be any trouble rendering anything that large? (Though I might want to even double that if I can to 600 dpi). I know the most recent update allows the renderer to do larger images, but I never have tried anything that large.
    Posted By: DogtagSome general dungeon mapping advice that you probably already know, but always bears repeating: ...

If you're making a truly mega dungeon, consider setting colors for certain parts of the dungeon before drawing them (or changing them after drawing them). If you are using bitmap fills, the colors will not show, but you can use the colors to select "by color," which lets you create sort of sub-categories, even within the same sheet or layer. For example, if you set the orc area to red and the goblin area to green and the dragon area to yellow, you can easily select entities, like floors, related to those areas, even if all the floors are on the floors layer. You can do the same thing with symbols! Naturally,varicolorsymbols will visibly change to match the color, butnon-varicolorsymbols will not show any visible difference. Monsen pointed out this trick a short while back and I've personally found it to be very helpful on occasion.
    I'm going to have to try this color thing. It doesn't make sense to me as you explain it, but I will see what happens when I try it.

Also, anyone done a Coordinate system grid? like alpha for vertical and numeric for horizontal? I know the grid can do numbers, but letter to? And anyway to automate hotspots to those grids? (Not sure I would need/want that, but wouldn't hurt to consider.)
  • Here is a link to my largest dungeon, it was done using CC2 and html.

first level

level 2

level 3

down to level 6. I think some of the navigation menus have problems... so if you spot a problem, please let me know.

Thanks.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: LordEntrailsWhich raises a question, 300 dpi @ 24"x36" yields 7200 x 10800 pixels. Will there be any trouble rendering anything that large? (Though I might want to even double that if I can to 600 dpi).
    That should not be a problem. With the most recent update, you MAY even be able to double it too, but it depends on several factors.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited August 2017
    LordEntrails asked:Also, anyone done a Coordinate system grid? like alpha for vertical and numeric for horizontal? I know the grid can do numbers, but letter to? And anyway to automate hotspots to those grids? (Not sure I would need/want that, but wouldn't hurt to consider.)
    Yes, when adding a grid overlay, if you set the starting value for an axis to a letter, that axis will be labeled with letters. Or, at least from my own experience, I know if I set the starting value to "A" the axis will use letters.

If you have City Designer, it can make a linked index to all text labels on your map, once you have a grid in place (so cool!). See the online help and search for Create Index. Note that hyperlinks only work within CC3 and will not work in any exported formats, such as PNG or JPG. But the index labels will still be useful. To use this feature in DD3, simply click the CD3 icon and then select the Create Index [CD3 Button Image] button*, or type GAZ in the command line.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag

* The CC3 version of the CD3 Create Index button has a different icon, [CD3 Button Image].
  • Thanks all :)

Appreciate everyone time and efforts and will let you know when I get something to show :)