Re-Installing Everything

I have had PF's mapping software since we had to buy it on disc. I have slowly upgraded through the versions until I am up to date with the latest release. In the past I noticed (or thought I did) that the later versions would not have all of the earlier symbol catalogues. For instance CC3 would not necessarily have all the old catalogs from CC2 Pro. So I would install each version in order so I would get it all.

But these days there are a LOT of versions to go through.

Right now a load would need
four versions of CC
two versions of CD
two versions of DD
two versions of Pers
one version of FT
one version of Cosmo

And then the Symbol Sets and Annuals.
My old computer has bit the dust and I need to reload everything on my new machine.
So my questions is this.

What is the best loading order that would also allow me to retain the older catalogs?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    First of all, there are very few cases where the new version doesn't also include the old catalogs, so there shouldn't really be any reason to install the old versions. It is also worth noting that older maps employing vector symbols embed these in the map, so if there should be a symbol catalog you were missing, the map will still work fine.

As for install order, CC2, Pro, CC3 and CC3+ all install completely separate from each other, so if you install multiple versions, the install order between them doesn't matter. Within each version, the general rule is to install the CC product, then all add-ons, then followed by the latest update for that CC version, which also updates all installed add-ons.

Do note that CC2/Pro is not supported on newer versions of windows, and they do have some issues preventing them from working completely as intended, requiring some workarounds at times.

Also note that never versions of CC will not look in the installation folders of the older versions, so even if there happens to be a catalog there not included in the newer version, the newer version will not pick it up automatically (although it can still be loaded manually in a newer version)
  • Thanks Monsen,

That is good to hear. I will probably go with the latest version I have of each. If I notice something missing I really really have to have, I'll go back to earlier versions until I find it.

Once again thanks for the info.

Spence