How to remove section of circular wall?

How do you remove just a section of a circular wall? I highlighted the area I am trying to remove in the image below. Any help is appreciated.

Photobucket

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Use the break image command [BREAK] to do it.
  • edited February 2009
    Posted By: MonsenUse the breakimagecommand [BREAK] to do it.
    I tried that. When I click on it, it says select entity to break and turns the cursor to the square. After I click on the wall it doesn't do anything. The bottom of the screen reads "Command [BREAK]". So what am I supposed to do now? It appears it won't let me select the circle using the break wall tool. Also, I tried using the break wall tool to make room for a door on another section of the wall and it deleted the entire wall instead of the area I selected with the start and end points.

Here is the CD3 file for anyone that wants to try and fix this.
    Link to map here
  • Did you select the entity then right-click to select the "Do It" command? I've never used the Break command but I would expect that would be the next step as almost all other functions utilize the 'Do It" command.
  • Posted By: bearclawDid you select the entity then right-click to select the "Do It" command? I've never used the Break command but I would expect that would be the next step as almost all other functions utilize the 'Do It" command.
    After you select your entity you are supposed to select the start and end points but it won't let me select the circular wall.
  • I think my issue has to do with how I am creating these walls. I used the Donut, Circle drawing tool to create the area and moved it to the Walls Sheet. Is this the wrong way to make a circular wall like this?
  • LatharionLatharion Traveler
    edited February 2009
    The problem lies in the fact that you are trying to break a multipoly. To break a multipoly, you need to "Explode" it first. For a donut, this will result in two different circles if 2 different sizes. Break each circle where you need it to be broken. Be sure to connect the two separate circles at the breaks to make a complete circle (I use modifiers to make sure this occurs with accuracy). Then "Multipoly" the two broken circles and lines to recombine the donut.
  • Posted By: LatharionThe problem lies in the fact that you are trying to break a multipoly. To break a multipoly, you need to "Explode" it first. For a donut, this will result in two different circles if 2 different sizes. Break each circle where you need it to be broken. Be sure to connect the two separate circles at the breaks to make a complete circle (I use modifiers to make sure this occurs with accuracy). Then "Multipoly" the two broken circles and lines to recombine the donut.
    Thanks for the info. It sounds difficult to do. Never used Explode before. Wish there was a video of something like this.
  • edited February 2009
    Ok I think I got it figured out now. I should have used a different tool to make the circle. Thanks for the help guys.

Fixed map. It's not perfect but it's good enough for what I need.
    Photobucket
  • Once you learn how to use the advanced tools included with CC3, you will probably feel a lot more free to create the maps you envision. The drawing tools included with CC3 and it's expansions are a very good starting point, but to unlock the true potential of CC3, the advanced tools (such as Explode, Multipoly, Break, Edit Node, etc...) allow for very unusual mapping styles to take shape. If you have any questions about the tools, feel free to ask. A lot of the cartographers here have been using CC from the beginning and are very well acquainted with the more esoteric tools available to us.

Also, don't be afraid to try out different tools. Experimentation can lead to all kinds of nifty results. As an FYI, all of the drawing tools (like the land tool or the water tool etc..) are derived from the advanced tools and can be duplicated "the long way". This might be important to understand in case you wish to modify a resultant map element but wish to keep the same settings or something. For example, the "Default Sea" tool is actually a "Fractal Poly" with a bitmap fill style called "Blue-DK bitmap" with the "Outline" option set, a line style of "Solid" set, placed on the "WATER" layer. "Multipoly" is then used on it, resulting in a default sea. With this knowledge, you can then create new "drawing tools" if you wish or play with the results (like say, changing the fill to a different bitmap perhaps). Have fun with it. CC3 is like a very very very deep well. The more you explore, the deeper it gets.