How to draw the same terrain on a separate sheet & apply different sheet effects

So as you guys know me, I typically intermingle various symbol catalogs and terrains from different annuals into one map. Specifically for Terrains, I use Herwin Wielink and 13th Age Annual. The issue is, both Herwin Wielink and 13th Age use the same Sheet name for FOREST. My thought process is, create a new sheet, click the "draw this on current sheet" radial box on the Terrain prompt then draw, then add sheet effect to said sheet with different name. The new sheet is named ROCK. However, the sheet effect won't work on the ROCK sheet when I draw that Terrain. Essentially, I would like to apply Hue/Saturation Effect to the Herwin Wielink FOREST Sheet but rename it to a different sheet while not having it universally apply that sheet effect to all terrains with the same sheet name.

Apologies if that sounds super confusing. It's late and I am super frustrated lol. In theory this should work right? What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited August 2017
    D'oh!  #-o

I think I may have just answered this question in Shessar's discussion.

In a nutshell,
    1. Create the new sheet and add the effect you want.
    2. Create a custom draw tool for the fill style you want, and set the draw tool to draw on the new sheet. Tools can have a separate sheet for outlines and for fills, so be sure to set the correct sheet field.
    Alternatively,
    1. Name your new sheet so it begins the same as the "old" sheet. For example, FOREST GRAY or FOREST ROCK, instead of just ROCK.
    2. Make sure the existing draw tool is drawing to a sheet that begins with the same word or words and ends with an asterisk. For example, FOREST*
    3. Manually set the active sheet to your new sheet before drawing the fill.
    I hope that helps.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I use the alternative method most of the time :)

But I also have a special drawing tool called "Sue" (to pick it out from the crowd), which has no defining boundaries, uses the current fill and/or line style, and draws things on the current sheet. I tend to use it when I'm I a hurry to get things done. The only drawback is that you have to make sure you have the correct fill, line style, colour and sheet all set up before you use it.
  • If this is a terrain type and new sheet that I will be using frequently, I'll create a new Draw Tool.

If I only intend to use it in a couple of places on a map, I'll change the Sheet, Layer, Line Width, Line Style, and Fill Style to what I want and then just use the draw buttons from the right-hand toolbar. I'll confess to using the draw buttons far more than I use the draw tools; it's a leftover habit from my CAD days.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I also tend to use the freehand drawing tool a lot more than the preset drawing tools, but the 'Sue' tool I've made is handy if I want to trace anything.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Yes, sorry. A third option is to simply use the drawing commands on the right side of the screen once you manually set the sheet, layer, and fill style.
  • Thanks guys, been out of the game of CC3 for a while now. Thanks so much everyone who responded!

Dogtag, your method worked fine sir