CC3+ Rendering Error

I am attempting to render my map as a JPEG. However, I keep on getting this error below. The dialog render prompt says all passes were rendered correctly. When I view the .BMP file in Photoshop it's super low res, very pixelated. Any help would be appreciative thanks!

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    What output settings (especially resolution) were you using?
  • gdsimsgdsims Newcomer
    I'm getting the same error. It happens on every map I make, regardless of settings like resolution/alias/compression. Also happens on JPEG export, not just PNG.

-Greg
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Update 12 changed how exports are generated to reduce memory pressure and allow larger image exports. It generates an intermediate BMP file band-by-band on disk during the export and then converts that image to other formats like JPG and PNG using an external conversion program. The error message in question happens when the system can't execute the convert.exe program, which is likely caused by a missing, misplaced, or corrupted #\ImageMagick\convert.exe file.

Exporting a BMP file bypasses the use of convert.exe. If you save a BMP export, does the file look as you would expect it?

Reinstalling the update may help. Please contact ProFantasy tech support if the problem persists.
  • I reinstalled Update 12 and attempted another render, still getting the same error. I also can't attach the .BMP file. When rendered and importing it in Photoshop to view everything is super pixelated.

I have no idea how this file got corrupted or how to fix it. I did have a few renders before this error with no issue.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I noticed I started seeing this myself whenever I do large exports (10 000+ pixels), while smaller exports complete just fine.
  • Monsen, could CC3+ handle a render of 10k+ pixels? I do remember I did a 9k pixel render and it was fine but the quality of the render wasn't as crisp as I was hoping so that's why I have been trying to do the 10-12k range.

The maps I have been working in are, (in distance), 14131 x 6651.
    Yes. For example, all the atlas maps are rendered in 8192x8192 with 25% antialias, which means they are really rendereded in 10666x10666 pixels, then reduced. I've also been doing renderings in 12000x12000 for some maps lately.

Also note if you need even larger exports, you can also export the map in parts using the rectangular section export. For example, this city map is exported in pieces to form a 81920 x 65540 pixel map when assembled.
  • gdsimsgdsims Newcomer
    edited August 2017
    Posted By: jslaytonUpdate 12 changed how exports are generated to reduce memory pressure and allow larger image exports. It generates an intermediate BMP file band-by-band on disk during the export and then converts that image to other formats like JPG and PNG using an external conversion program. The error message in question happens when the system can't execute the convert.exe program, which is likely caused by a missing, misplaced, or corrupted #\ImageMagick\convert.exe file.
    Ok, so Imagemagick. Do you install a local version of convert.exe under profantasy somewhere? I don't see it in either my application install [ c:\Program Files(x86)\Profantasy\CC3Plus] or my data install [e:\Profantasy\CC3Plus]

Anyway, I decided to do some tests.

First.. I just recently completed a full system wipe and reinstall of cc3+ 3.77 (fresh download of CC3PlusSetup.exe for 3.77 from 3 or 4 days ago) and all of my addons. I didn't install CC3 (or cc2) for that matter, just cc3plus. I use imagemagik for other personal projects so I also have a fresh install of the latest Imagemagick install ( I have the x64 version of 7.6.6-4-Q16 for Win10)

I made a very quick character in CA under CC3+ and then tried a simple export to JPG and PNG using the default Alias25 settings. This, as already mentioned, generated the error noted by the OP as well as others.

On to the tests.
    Test One:
    I tried to view the 'temporary BMP' file in IMDisplay (Imagemagicks GUI viewer). It generated the following error on opening the file.
    IMDisplayDoc function [DoReadImage] reported a warning. imdisplay.exe: length and filesize do not match `Faringel Hopple.JPG.bmp' @ warning/bmp.c/ReadBMPImage/821.
    After acknowledging the warning, the file opens and I'm able to export file into any other format without additional warnings or errors.

Test Two:
    Using the command line tools I run the original file through magick.exe and just for thoroughness, convert,exe (Note: convert.exe must be installed by ticking install legacy itmes during imagemagick installs or it won't be there - magick.exe now has all of converts featuires rolled into it)
    In both cases the same general error as above was generated.

E:\Profantasy\CC3Plus\Mine\CA>magick "Faringel Hopple.JPG.bmp" FH.png
    magick: length and filesize do not match `Faringel Hopple.JPG.bmp' @ warning/bmp.c/ReadBMPImage/821.

E:\Profantasy\CC3Plus\Mine\CA>convert "Faringel Hopple.JPG.bmp" FH.png
    convert: length and filesize do not match `Faringel Hopple.JPG.bmp' @ warning/bmp.c/ReadBMPImage/821.

The most important thing here was that the conversion still occurred. The resulting FH.jpg tested and appeared flawless.

Test three:
    I ran the original cc3+ temporary BMP through irfanview wothout any conversion. Just opened and saved it over itself without any changes.
    Ran this 'new' BMP though the same tests as above, tests completed without warnings being generated.

Conclusion:
    Something appears to be 'off' with cc3's export to BMP during the rendering process. As a final check I did generate a slew of BMPs with other tools (automated and by hand) and none of them generated the same error message.

At this point, I pass it back to the developer/support team as I'm not sure what is causing the errors on export.
    -Greg
  • 12 days later
  • Same error here - just installed CC3+ and DD3 on a new compute and can't save the image in either .PNG or JPEG formats. I have tried the defaults and also changing attributes, but to no avail.
    edited August 2017
    Have you installed the latest update? The saving to .jpg problem was fixed in update 13. What resolutions do try to export?
  • 8 days later
  • gdsimsgdsims Newcomer
    <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Monsen</cite>Have you installed the latest update? The saving to .jpg problem was fixed in update 13. What resolutions do try to export?</blockquote>

Ahh.. the 'latest' CC3PlusSetup.exe for 3.77 isn't actually the latest version. I didn't notice the update was for newer then a fresh install - which seems wierd. <sigh>
    Anyway, this does fix the error.
    Thanks
    -Greg
    edited August 2017
    Posted By: gdsimsAhh.. the 'latest' CC3PlusSetup.exe for 3.77 isn't actually the latest version. I didn't notice the update was for newer then a fresh install - which seems wierd.
    It's not uncommon in the software world that the installer available isn't the latest version (Especially if the software offers patches, and not just "reinstall using the latest installer" which many smaller software packages use). For CC3(+), requiring complete re-downloads (which would include add-ons, they need updating too) doesn't make much sense, due to the large file sizes involved, so patches are pretty much a required strategy anyway. So the main CC3+ installer is updated every now and then, while patches/updates are released more frequently.