Installation Order?

Okay... I want to use CC3+ exclusively... I have all the CC2/Pro versions of things and most of the CC3 versions (I'm slacking on the Annuals, I know, I'll get there :p )
1. Will the older items work in CC3+?
2. What should be my load order (including where update 12 fits)?
3. Any 'gotchas' that I need to watch for during install?
4. If the older ones won't work in CC3+, what time frame are we looking at for CC3+ versions (I know Dioramas is being worked on now, but the others)?

so here's my list;
CC3+ Version
Campaign Cartographer 3 Plus
Cartographer's Annual Vol. 1 (2007)
Cartographer's Annual Vol. 2 (2008)
Cartographer's Annual Vol. 3 (2009)
Cartographer's Annual Vol. 4 (2010)
Cartographer's Annual Vol. 5 (2011)
Cartographer's Annual Vol. 6 (2012)
Character Artist 3
City Designer 3
Cosmographer 3
Dungeon Designer 3
Fractal Terrains 3 Upgrade
Perspectives 3
Symbol Set 1 v3 - Overland
Symbol Set 2 v3 - Floorplans
Symbol Set 3 v3 - Modern
Tome of Ultimate Mapping v3

CC2/Pro to CC3 Compatibility Version
Dioramas Pro
Source Maps: Castles!
Source Maps: Temples, Tombs, and Catacombs!

CC3 Version
Source Maps: Cities!

After that, what order do I need to install the following (these are the CC3+ versions);
Bogie's Mapping Objects
CSUAC
Dundjinni Archives
Vintyri Cartographic Collection

I'm reading through the installing docs and getting no sense of what kind of order I should be installing these in...

Please and Thank you for assistance!

Mynex
W. Robert Reed III

Comments

• Oh and yes, I found this link;
    https://secure.profantasy.com/service/registry.asp

and while it certainly helps and my vague recollections of install order kinda match... it doesn't cover the mixed versions or the specific order (if any is needed) for the 4 other addons.

Trying to avoid install/uninstall/reinstall a gazillion times to get it right. :D

Mynex
    W. Robert Reed III
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2017

To install CC3+ and related, Official ProFantasy add-ons and symbol sets:
    1. Temporarily disable any antivirus software you're using.
    2. Install CC3Plus. If you have Windows Vista or later, right-click the setup file and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Then, install all the CC3Plus-compatible add-ons and symbol sets, in any order. Use the same right-click technique for all ProFantasy software.
      Be sure to use correct CC3Plus-compatible setup files. As you noted, at the time I'm writing this, Dioramas is not yet compatible but hopefully will be sometime in the near future. The newest update helped to lay the groundwork. Source Maps and the WWII Atlas are not compatible with CC3+.
    4. After you install all the CC3Plus-compatible add-ons, download and install Update 12 for CC3+. Again, use the right-click.
    5. Re-enable your antivirus.
    CC3+ and it's add-ons install into a different directory structure on your computer, so you can install all CC3+ related items even if you have the CC3 versions already installed. You will not overwrite any older programs. Both CC3 and CC3+ can coexist on the same computer. NOTE: If you do not have CC3 and its add-ons installed, you do not need to install them in order to install CC3+.

Fractal Terrains is a completely separate program and is not really related to CC3 or CC3+, so if you already have it installed, there's no need to re-install, unless you're updating to a newer version than the one that's already on your system.And, if it isn't installed, you can install it whenever — it's unaffected by CC3/CC3+ installation order.

For non-ProFantasy symbol sets and add-ons, see the Interesting, Important and Helpful topics - Free Symbols, Resources, Tutorials & More sticky forum topic. It's always at the top of the forum discussion list

As for timelines regarding the others, ProFantasy hasn't made any announcements except one, a while back for Source Maps: Temples, Tombs, and Catacombs. That seems to have been delayed, however, and there hasn't been any official word since.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Thanks for the response.

It does not however, answer my question if there is a specific order to install the 4 add-ons that aren't from PF... Or rather, it does, but in the general way...

I meant what order do these 4 individual, specific addons need to be in to not mess the other 3 up?
    is it;
    1st- Bogie's Mapping Objects
    2nd- CSUAC
    3rd- Dundjinni Archives
    4th- Vintyri Cartographic Collection
    ???

Or is it;
    1st - CSUAC
    2nd - Bogie's Mapping Objects
    3rd - Dundjinni Archives
    4th - Vintyri Cartographic Collection

or something else?

Mynex
    W. Robert Reed III
  • pool7pool7 Traveler
    IIRC, the order doesn't matter, and I don't think there's any conflict between them; however if there is it should be mentioned in their documentation (ie. readme or install guide, etc)
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    I would do CSUAC first, since it's the oldest of the sets, but I think the order does indeed no matter.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2017
    You'll also want to run the CC3+ Update after you install the 3rd-party add-ons/symbol sets, but be sure to read the documentation for each of them. I believe there is important information, for at least one of them, about how the update affects any menus or toolbars that the 3rd-party add-ons install.
  • Thanks all, I'll let you know how it goes!

Mynex
    W. Robert Reed III
  • Well... sorta good... :/

All the PF stuff went in fine, no problems there (that jump out at me)...

Then I installed (in this order); CSUAC, Dundjinni archives, The Vintyri Collection, then Bogies...

Everything seemed to install correctly, all instructions were followed... Menu bars showed up when they were supposed to...

So I started looking though the symbols and a bunch are a white background with a red X... which I am assuming means that the file cannot be found, because I can't find the files with that red X, by the names listed in the symbol selection area in the actual files on my system...

For example;
    1. Start CC3+, Go to Overland
    2. Look at Menu Bar 3 and I have "DJ Overland Symbols", "DJ Overland Covers", and then comes the "CSUAC/DA XXX" options...
    3. Click on "CSUAC/DA Vegetation" - All the symbols listed are red X's...

Lots of places, especially humanoids, animals, and monsters this happens in...

And I've uninstalled, removed files, and reinstalled and same issue...

So... yea... I'm kinda at a loss of where to go from here to fix this problem... not sure if it's a case of me doing something wrong or what....

Ideas?

Mynex
    W. Robert Reed III
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2017
    Red X'es in the Dundjinni/Vintyri++ symbol catalogs usually means one of two things
    - You've either forgot to download and/or unzip the additional zip files that comes with the set. All of these four sets comes with several zip's that needs to be downloaded and unzipped in addition to running the setup file.
    - You've unzipped the zip's in the wrong place. The most common mistake here is that people allow their unzipping software to create an extra folder based on the name of the zip archive, and not just unzip the contents.This is detectable by your Symbols directory containing directories named based on your zip file names. Check for this, and either move the files or extract them again.
  • 1. downloaded and unzipped all additional files before even looking at installing;
    - VCC = 14 total files (1 setup, 13 with all the goodies)
    - Bogies = 1 file
    - CSUAC = 1 file
    - DJA = 5 files (1 for cosmographer, 4 for CC3+)

2. Followed directions on each one on... VCC was the only one that required manual moving of all it's files;
    - VCC, when unzipping the 13 files, creates 2 directorys - Bitmaps and Symbols
    - Move into the ..\Profantasy\CC3Plus directory (the data directory, not the one in ..\ProgramFiles)
    So that's all good.

The problem looks to be the CSUAC files...
    For example - in the ..\Symbols\CSUAC_2\BL2_Monsters... There is a "bl2_dinosaur.FSC file, but no "Dinosaur" subdirectory and in CC3+, the Dinosaur section is all red X's. This repeats for a few others where the red X's show in CC3+

Looking at the CSUAC downloads (http://www.vintyri.org/CSUAC/download_cc3plus.htm) it only lists 1 file to download... the file sizes match... *ponder*

So I decided to reinstall CSUAC... since I originally installed it first and as I noted above in this post, there were .FSC files but no matching directories, I was thinking maybe one of the other 3 addons did something, or maybe the install went sideways...

So, reinstall... and now everything is there!

I don't know if the original install went sideways or one of the others did something to it, but I think if I need to reinstall everything from scratch again, I'll install CSUAC last. :p

Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated.

Now to go play with the toys! :D

Mynex
    W. Robert Reed III
  • Some of my installs of this did as Monsen mentioned, and one just seemed to go off into nothingness that a reinstall fixed.