Nijon WIP

Hey all, below, note a part of my continent, southwest coast. On my original continent map posted here last month or so, the region is called: 'Nuyan-Khom' which is merely the Elvish version of 'Nijon'.

A GM in our gaming group wanted to run his campaign in this Asian setting/area. I advised him only that Nijon is feudal Japan inspired, circa 1600s. The rest was up to him. He wanted a basic map, no frills.

I'd like to add terrain areas showing forests and rice paddies, but have yet to find anything that seems to work. Any advice on any aspects of my map would be appreciated, however.

thanks in advance
Cal

Comments

• edited July 2017
    Nicely done! I like it! As far as rice paddies goes, I've never seen anything symbols like that. But you might be able to draw some terraces and get those to look like terraced rice fields.
  • Looks very natural, love it! :)
  • Thank you, Tonnichiwa and pixelkitteh. I must say that this map took the most work to do and I already see I have a few things more to do. Weird. Using the various symbols takes nearly no time. But precise settings of geography, well heheh. That's a whole nother help line.

thanks in advance
    Cal
  • edited July 2017
    A friend of ours on both this forum and Cartographer's Guild has made some wonderful bitmap images that are free to use for cartography projects. Here is her her version of rice patties.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?albumid=4897&attachmentid=95475

The annual, Here be Monsters, is specifically designed for large scale maps. I pulled the forest/jungles from it for my world map. You can check it out below to see if it will work for you.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=97410&d=1499640944

I love your map and I hope this helps. :-)
  • HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    Hi Calibre

This looks great. The mountains look nice, but I first (when I was looking at the map on my phone) mistook them for forests. Have you considered changing their color so a brownish or greyish tone?
  • Will try it, Hadrian. That was the default color for them, I think. Maybe that will liven up the whole thing.

thanks!
    Cal
  • HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    You could try this: Create a new sheet (Mountain Brown for example) and place it right below you current mountain sheet. Then use copy to sheet (right click on the copy symbol) to copy all mountains on your map to this new sheet. Then hide everything except for the new sheet and use the change properties tool to change the color of the mountains to a brownish tone. Then go to sheets and effects and copy the effects from the mountain sheet to the new sheet. Now, the only thing left to do is increasing the edge width of the edge fade inner effect on the new sheet. I don't know by how much, just try out some values:)
  • This is actually a gorgeous map, Calibre.

When I look at this I see a setting like Rokugan, from the Legend of the Five Rings. It's a simple map, but very effective when you zoom in. The detail of the rivers an how the borders follow natural barriers is very authentic, but I don't think it needs rice paddies at this scale. It does, however, need forested areas.

Also, HadrianVI's suggestion is a very good one. If you follow his advice and hit the right colour/edge fade it will make the mountains blend into the landscape and make your map feel more natural.

I think less is more with this one. Leave the rice paddies for the DM to describe and the players to imagine, during their honourable quest...

DMG
  • Since I am having issues with the latest update 12 I cannot follow HadrianVI's suggestions, alas. I've opened a ticket on the issues.

Suffice to say, the relief on this map is transparent, thus taking up the color of LAND so I'm not sure I can alter the colors at all.

Agreed on the rice paddies and forests. Once I have these technical issues dealt with, will proceed with excellent suggestions.

thanks in advance
    Cal