I think I'm getting the hang of things

Updated color image, to change the compass rose and try something different with the hexes.

So, I have this adventure module for Covert Ops, and it has a map of "the farm." Very basic, black and white:

Black and white

I wanted to make it look nicer:

color

There is room for improvement, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

(The hexes don't print very well. I think I need to make that sheet more opaque.)

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2017
    taustinoc mentioned:There is room for improvement, but I'm happy with how it turned out.
    And you should be. It looks really good! May I ask, how large is one hex?

And, if I can offer a small suggestion, perhaps consider moving the compass rose more to the left, away from the trees.

Very nice conversion!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    Also, the hexes might print better if they were a dark color, as opposed to a light one. Either way, you're right, you'll probably need to play with the opacity until you get a version you like.
  • Medium gray works for me in hexes as an overlay for color maps.
  • taustinoctaustinoc Surveyor
    Hexes are, I believe, about 50 feet. (There's no scale on the original, and Covert Ops is pretty fuzzy about such things anyway. If your character has a MOV of 8, you can move 8 hexes, whatever size they are. It's a fairly freeform system.)

Darker hexes might be more visible, but to me, on a map that dark to begin with, they're ugly as sin. Might say more about me than darker hexes, but it's my map. So there. :)

Do you mean to the right on the compass rose? Yeah, I agree. It's where it was on the original, and the color one is quite a bit wider (and I got tired of placing more and more and more trees).
  • Do you own the Alyssa Faden annual? I think it is annual number 95. It has a compass rose that looks very similar to the one you have on the original map.
    edited July 2017
    Updated the color image. Thanks for the suggestion. Much better compass rose for this map.
    Posted By: TonnichiwaDo you own the Alyssa Faden annual? I think it is annual number 95. It has a compass rose that looks very similar to the one you have on the original map.
    November 2014, looks like. (I bought the entire package, and all the annuals are even installed!) I'll take a look at it. I rather like the mapping style, too. There's another map in the same module I'd like to redo. Thanks.
  • TopdeckerTopdecker Traveler
    Try putting the hex layer in position so everything but ground and ground clutter (such as roads and rivers) are above the hex lines (i.e. the trees will break-up the line). It may result in a look that is more pleasing to the eye.

Tim
    edited July 2017
    Wow, that compass rose really does look a lot like the original. Good eye, Tonnichiwa!
    taustinoc wrote:Darker hexes might be more visible, but to me, on a map that dark to begin with, they're ugly as sin. Might say more about me than darker hexes, but it's my map. So there. :)
    True enough. Other suggestions to consider, more in line with your personal tastes, could be to:
    • try and lighten the hexes more,
    • add a light glow around them to help separate them from the busy background; or
    • for similar effect widen the grid lines slightly.
    :D

Again, top notch map.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    OK, revised again with a lighter (and gray, instead of brown) grid, with a 75% opacity, white outer glow, range 0.5, blur size 1 (map units).

I like this more. I think it'll print better, too.
  • Cool! I'm glad it worked! (And thanks for the compliment Dogtag :) )

So are you going to keep the change in the poles? The original map has North facing a different direction than the map you made. Is that intentional?
    edited July 2017
    Edit: One last revision, to get the compass pointing the right way, and added a slight glow around it to make it easier to read on the dark background.
    Posted By: Tonnichiwa
    So are you going to keep the change in the poles? The original map has North facing a different direction than the map you made. Is that intentional?
    That is the result of black text on a dark background, and me not looking close enough. I think I may try to make that more visible before I try to fix it.

Sigh.
  • A very fine map.

For me B&W maps, or those of more neutral colours, always feel more fantasy and when I first saw the B&W original, before I started reading the thread, I immediately thought it was going to be an elven raid. Bringing in the colour and using the modern structures, not to mention creative symbols, makes me think Ghost Recon Wildlands or Clear and Present Danger.

Great work. Your players will love it!

DMG
    Now that you mention it, Dungeon Master Gaz, yeah, I get that fantasy vibe, too. I guess why the urge to make it look prettier.

There's a second map, very similar in style in the module, but I'm going to experiment with a different mapping style on it. Maybe this weekend.