Village of Unayzah

Hello everyone, this is my entry in the Cartographer's Guild monthly challenge. I know it isn't going to win because there is a gorgeous space map that I think most people will vote for but I just wanted to show everyone here what I made. I hope you all enjoy it.

Comments

• Gorgeous map, Tonnichiwa!

It's maps like this that inspired my Ravenloft recreation. Ripe for adventure, it's a winner in my book. Good work!

DMG
  • This is great Tony! It's exactly what i'm looking for, for the desert region in my world....and of course, the desert region on Malajuri could use a city like this if you're so inclined to contribute :) Great job! I really like your use of the iso city symbols....i'm going to have to give this technique a serious try
  • @CharlesWayneRobinson : Thanks :)

@Dungeon Master Gaz: Thanks :)

@Robotrock: Thanks :)

@Lorelei: Thanks :) One of the reasons I have not submitted it is because I don't actually pay attention to the true scale when I am making maps like this and I didn't want people in the atlas to be confused by what I have done. In reality, this maps size is 1000 miles by 800 miles. But I have scaled up all of the symbols simply by what size I thought looked good, and then placed them down to create the map. So if you were to have the FCW and do a measurement on say one of the buildings, it might say that the building is 200 miles wide!

If it is exactly what you are looking for in your desert region world, I give a demonstration of how I build maps like this in my video on my youtube page.

• Hi, What tools did you use to make this beautiful map?

Great work.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2017
    Tonnichiwa wrote:If it is exactly what you are looking for in your desert region world, I give a demonstration of how I build maps like this in my video on my youtube page.

Shameless plug for an easy way to make those HTML links live.  Just sayin'.  ;)  :D

• ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Very nice. You can tell this little oasis town has a lot of stories to tell.
  • @Dennis Landi: Hi Dennis. I made this map by using the Cartographer's Annual # 116 Scorching Sun style. I then went in to the Mike Schley overland style for the buildings and the oasis symbols. I added a few trees and things, then went to another annual style (which I can't remember the name of right now) and grabbed the symbol for the Aqueduct and the buried statue. It is an overland style that really didn't use any special tools, just different symbols.

@Dogtag: Thanks :) I thought about downloading it but I haven't done so yet. I probably should though, just to make life easier.

@ScottA: Thanks :) What the people who live there don't know is that the two oasis are actually a giant underground aquifer that goes right under the town. It is actually a gateway to the Elemental Plane of Water. If anyone ever breaks the seals that lie in the underground aquifer then the gateway will open for a short time and flood the entire desert and most of the rest of the world in billions of gallons of water. They don't know it yet but a small man by the name of Hafez Bani-Kab is actually the gatekeeper. He makes sure the seals stay closed. Hafez is actually a Djinn who has changed his shape to look like the rest of the townspeople. He has lived in Unayzah for centuries. Every 75 years or so he changes the way he looks, so that he seems to look like a relative of the person he was posing to be. This way he can keep his disguise going. When it comes time for him to change shape, he will teleport outside the town, with some of his belongings. then he will come back into town and knock on the door of the house where he lives. Over the next few weeks he will walk around town with an illusion of the man he once was, then suddenly the man will get sick. So the "nephew" will stay on at the house nursing his "uncle" until he "dies". The "uncle" will have left everything to his "nephew" so the "Nephew" now takes over the estate and continues to live in the village.

And that is just one of the stories. ;)
  • Great looking close up map! I did one in the Herwin Wielink style a few years ago. I'll post it below for you to view. You did an excellent job. Great placement and composition. I prefer this style to CC3 City Designer haha.

You can view, Kael'Tristin "The Gate of the North, here: http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=4361
  • TopdeckerTopdecker Traveler
    edited July 2017
    This is on of those maps that make me happy to be a part of the community. Thank you, Tonnichiwa
  • Thanks Farsightx3, Great looking map you have there :)

Thanks Topdecker. :) This community has been one of my most favorites since I started lurking on January 1st 2014. I didn't actually make an account until December 23rd of 2014. I'm glad my maps make you want to continue to be a part of the community:)
  • HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    This looks great. You should have entered it in last months lite challenge.
  • Thanks Hadrian VI, Yeah, if only I had thought of it then...