My first city map with CC3 +

I bought CC3 on July the 12th.
Yesterday I finished my first city map.

I think that I have made many beginners' mistakes.

The buildings and layout of the streets is inspired by a village in the area.
Since I want to get better, I ask for a critical consideration.
The Praios Temple was to stand on a rock. I did not get it.
The house of the fisherman and the watermill should lie much deeper than the other houses. Also, you can not see that.

Comments

• Great Map!
    If I am understanding you, I think that your questions here are similar to your other post. I am also just learning, so others may have better tips. Height in CC3 maps seems to be mostly represented by the length of the shadow an object casts (Wall Shadow Directional effect). Put your different height objects on different sheets and adjust the length setting. Most of the templates have sheets already created for this. Hope this is what you were asking and helps
  • Your street layout is very nice. Looks more realistic to me than many I've seen.
  • Gorgeous, detailed map for your first attempt, ChrisDSA!

No criticism from me. I could use this map in an adventure as it is. Very well done!

DMG
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Hi ChrisDSA, welcome to CC3+ and the ProFantasy forum!

Wow, what an amazing first city map. I'm with Dungeon Master Gaz, I don't know if I can offer any constructive criticism. This looks fantastic. No one would ever guess this is a first try at a city (or any other map)! Amazing work, especially after only having the software for a few days.

I especially like how you made the fields outside the city. Very nice.

Thank you for sharing. I hope you'll share other maps in the future, too.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Welcome! Very nice city. The street layout is where I always suffer but you have mastered it for a great city design.
  • ChrisDSAChrisDSA Newcomer
    Thanks for the very positive response!

For my problem of creating an altitude map, I have now received a solution.

But I still want to practice a little self-criticism:
    I drew-all lazes-all roads equally broad. This is unrealistic.
    In my next experiment, I will not use the road tools to lay the roads, but to draw them as surfaces. Much more work, but probably a better result.
  • HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    This looks great! I especially love the placement of the buildings. By actually attaching them to one another you make it look like an actual medieval city.

If you wanted some criticism: Some of the textures are not scaled in the best possible way, especially the water texture.
    Also the cobblestone texture is not the best choice for maps of this scale. I have criticized this on other maps as well. So here's a work around regarding this I posted in another thread:
    Posted By: HadrianVIThe cobblestone fill is not the optimal choice for a map of this size. Therefore I would exchange it. Another thing you could do is hide everything but the streets and then use copy to sheet (right click on the copy butten on the left side of the screen) to copy all the streets onto a new sheet, which should be placed right below the Roads sheet in the sheet list (so it appears above the Roads sheet on the map). Then hide the roads sheet and select all the roads with the change properties tool. Then select a somewhat unicolor fill style in a similar color (solid or Stone 3 from the Jon Roberts City Style). Now the streets will appear entirely in the new fill style. So, what you have to do now is to go to sheets and effects and add a transparency effect on the new sheet. This way the road will still have a cobble stone structure, but it will be less strong, so it will look better at this scale.
  • 6 days later
  • Beautiful city map! I love that you used red for your buildings, and then added lots of darker colors for what is on the ground around them. It really makes the city "pop".
  • 3 months later
  • Love this city... I could dream myself away in it. :)
  • That is a fantastic city!!! The only suggestions for improvement I would make, other than raising the scale on your water and grass and such, would be that it doesn't make sense that you have a lake (or pond) with a river or stream that doesn't feed into it.