A symbol glitch

I created a few symbols. When I import the tower, I get a red X in the symbol window. On the image below, I had to import a starter tower as a drawing and then I used the copy command to duplicate it.

Anyhow, anyone got a guess as to why this is failing to import as a symbol?

Thanks!

Tim

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Weird. What options did you use when importing the png? Did you allow CC3+ to create other resolutions?
    Also, if you open up symbol manager, select the symbol, and then hit the "List" button, do the path for the image itself look reasonable (and do the images it points to exist). (Note that this step sometimes causes CC3+ to crash, make sure to save your drawing first.)
    What was the file name of the source png you tried to import?
  • TopdeckerTopdecker Traveler
    It is strange...

All that I did was to use the SYMBOLS --> IMPORT PNGS options. I had not allowed it to create other resolutions, so I re-did the import, checked the option to create other resolutions, and now it is working. I've gotta place everything again, but it looks right.

BTW, all of this was sort of due to OneDrive. I had planned on using OneDrive as a source, but the path to OneDrive contains your user name - which for me is not the same on both devices that I own (thank you, Windows 10, for shortening user names to 5 characters and wrecking easy sharing).

Tim
    edited July 2017
    I strongly recommend you keep your files inside the CC3+ data directory, this makes the map much more portable.

As for onedrive (should be the exact same solutions for dropbox, google drive and similar too for those that use that), there are two options.
    - Onedrive do let you specify the location of your onedrive folder, so you can store it outside your user directory. I think you need to reset and set it up again for an existing setup though, you cannot move the local folder of a configured instance.
    - You can make a soft link in the filesystem with the MKLINK command. Using this, you can make a link from the CC3+ data directory to your onedrive. This ensures that CC3+ still thinks the files are in the data directory, and treats them as such, while they really are on your onedrive (But the path is stored in the link, CC3+ doesn't see that, so doesn't matter if they are different (as long as the link name is the same in the CC3+ data directory on all computers) (Don't make a link the other way though, as the link itself cannot be properly synced to onedrive (it seems to work in the start, but random weirdness will occur), the real location must be the onedrive folder and the link in the CC3+ data directory).
    I had not allowed it to create other resolutions
    You should normally allow this, as it will allow CC3+'s multi-resolution system to work properly with your symbol.
  • TopdeckerTopdecker Traveler
    I will probably use the MAKELINK command. I'd only recently sorted out why it failed and hadn't given a work around much thought, so thanks for the suggestions!

As for the multi-resolution stuff, I just took the defaults; I didn't do too much more than click ok. Here is a case where maybe setting the preferred defaults would be welcomed by this less than experienced user.

Thanks again!

Tim
    edited July 2017
    Posted By: TopdeckerHere is a case where maybe setting the preferred defaults would be welcomed by this less than experienced user.
    The current defaults are the safe defaults, if not the best option. If multi-resolution was checked by default without a separate folder, it would modify the source image (better not be your only copy), or if it was enable, but with a separate folder, all symbols would go to that separate folder (if you didn't change it), and you really don't want all symbols you make in the same folder. So the current settings are really the best defaults to handle people who just want to click ok.
    Note that these defaults still work (normally, I am unsure why that symbol of yours failed, I would need to dig a bit deeper to figure that out) fine, but the result do get better if you take the time to set all those settings properly.
    Thanks again!
    You're welcome.