Haradwaith Map

Hello everybody,
i skipped my current mapping projects, as an old buddy - we started roleplaying together more than 20 years ago - asked me to provide him with maps for his current MERP campaign in the desert region east of Umbar, the town of the corsairs. The first thing I did is a map of the greater Haradwaith region. I checked a lot of maps, source books etc. but I did not found too many information for the desert (only for the coasts), so I created the most myself. As basic map for orientation I used the origional MERP map from Peter Fenlon.
I know mapping in middle-earth is always controversial as some people argue, only what Tolkien wrote is real. Anyhow, my buddy needed a map and I made one :-).
I would like to ask you if you have an idea, how I could give a better impression of the waterfall in the big canyon in the south-eastern area. Has anyone recommendations?

Thanks, Jensen

Comments

• HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    Wow, this is a very beautiful map.

,,,,0 oooooooooooooommoooo <-- My daughters comment on the map. I think she likes it too:)
  • Thanks Hadrian, since I started learning from you how to use effects, my maps became quiet better :-)
  • Hey Jensen,

Beautiful rendition of Haradwaith. Love your use of different styles to depict this region of Middle Earth - and don't listen to all those Tolkienists - just make the maps that make you and your friends happy!

As for the waterfall... I'm guessing you're talking about the canyon in the south west of the map? If I were creating this, at this scale, I would create a geographical symbol to represent the waterfall. In maps I've created or used in the past, waterfalls at such a large scale were indicated by a single black line perpendicular to he river at the point of the waterfall. Three parallel lines perpendicular to the river denoted rapids. So I would use the same method here. Of course, you would have to represent the waterfall symbol in your map key (which is another element of your map that I love, with its drop shadow and texture) so people knew what the black line meant. I'm sorry I can't offer a more asthetic solution, but a black line waterfall is about the same as a black dot city... if you see what I mean.

Well done with this one. It's a winner!

DMG
  • TopdeckerTopdecker Traveler
    It absolutely portrays a feeling of dry, arid lands. Wonderful job!

Tim
  • edited July 2017
    Thanks Dungeonmaster Gaz, you are absolutely right, I should use an abstract symbol instead of trying effects on this level. Thanks for the advice, I will do this - do you have a copyright on the three lines? I will take them :-)
  • edited July 2017
    Hahaha

Glad I could help. No copyright on the lines though. The credit for that goes to whoever created the Basic D&D hexmap style... That's where I first came across it! But something like that would defnately work at this scale.

DMG
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2017
    Jensen related:I know mapping in middle-earth is always controversial as some people argue, only what Tolkien wrote is real.
    That's pretty hilarious, considering that what Tolkien wrote was fantasy.  :))

Gorgeous map. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Its certainly a beauty, Jensen :D
  • TopdeckerTopdecker Traveler
    edited July 2017
    Posted By: Dogtag
    That's pretty hilarious, considering that what Tolkien wrote wasfantasy.>
    I think that the word commonly used is canon. For some folks, it is either canon or it isn't worth considering.

Tim
  • 3 months later
  • edited November 2017
    Hello everybody,

after a few month of abscence I now continued working on maps. First thing I did was an update on the Haradwaith map for my friend (his party will move soon in this region). I want to share the progress with you and ask a question: I want to make a waterfall in the area where the river goes into the canyon (see picture). Symbols don't work very good, as they are in the wrong direction. I would much appreciate ideas, recommendations and critics :-).

Thanks and regards, Jensen
  • So gorgeous, what a wonderful use of the Jon Roberts style. Sorry I can't help with the waterfall though